Through The Darkness Review

A/n: I hope that you watch this kdrama soon!!! I do love Kim Nam Gil's Through The Darkness so much!!!

Through The Darkness Review:

Rating: 10/10

Plot: 10/10
Music: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Cinematography: 10/10
Emotional Impact: 10/10

...

From all of the Korean Dramas that I have watched, this Korean Drama tops the list. There is one particular reason why it was so difficult for me to forget the show and that's Kim Nam Gil's portrayal as Song Ha Young. The character is so complex, deep, and he's someone you'll care about in the whole show while Jin Seon Kyu's character 'Kook Young Soo' was someone you'll thank for as he was always beside the main character and he always made it sure that Song Ha Young does not get lost. He was, as if, an older brother protecting his younger brother. 

The deep emotions that Kim Nam Gil exuded as Song Ha Young also kept me on my toes and glued me in the whole show. Only a few actors can act just by using their eyes and show so much emotion while they're just actually standing still.

It was also because of his amazing acting skills why I didn't care how dark the story was.

I watched Song Ha Young solve crimes while still remaining human and he isn't like a Sherlock Holmes Jr. detective character which I liked the best. Too many shows tried to copy that but I am sure that those skills weren't even happening in real life.

The story remained true to what actually happens in crime scenes, after all. There are detectives, forensics, and other police officers around crime scenes. They also highlighted how all of them can work together as one.

The drama also showed the beginning of criminal profiling and the struggle of the people who goes through uncharted waters.

The whole story also not just talked about crime but the lives of reporters who create news. The writers and the director highlighted the truth of society and how news can sometimes be toxic. It also showed that decent reporters could help human beings to be aware of truth and bring change to the society.

There are many crime shows that only highlight the crime itself but Through The Darkness was so different from all of those. It also gave time to make its viewers look at the victims, and those who were left behind. It made its viewers empathize with them and cry with them. It also gave time to make its audience see the minds of criminals and think about them if they're pitiful beings or they should be just given senseless hatred.

The show rose at my top list beating Mr. Sunshine as it showed reality. With only 12 episodes, it felt like it punched me through my gut and taught me a lot of wisdom that I won't have by experience. It made me see that there are crimes that have no motives, there are criminals who do commit crime since it was caused by trauma, and last of all, we shouldn't always jump into conclusions and push truth without evidence. It also made me more humble and aware of this world. I may be happy now but there are some people going through something tragic.

Some other people only see Korean Dramas as something about love stories or romance but to me, they're very wrong about that since South Korea was able to create masterpieces that I can call high-quality art. Through The Darkness is one of them.

Anyway, why wouldn't it be? It is based on a non-fiction book which was co-written by Korea's first criminal profiler, Kwon Il Yong and journalist-turned-author, Ko Na-mu.

Through The Darkness is the story of Song Ha Young, a criminal behavior analyst. His job was to talk to criminals and find ways how to prevent similar crimes.

At the end of the show, some people would say that it was so depressing and sad but with me, it was, as if, the old you was broken and you were rebuilt once again and renewed to be more than what you were in the beginning. I didn't feel unhappy at the end of the show. Instead, it allowed me to have a reality check and grasp new concepts in life...

...

'Through The Darkness' was also the drama why I appreciate actor Kim Nam Gil so much. He is not just an actor but also, an artist. Kim Nam Gil also played the character of Bidam in the drama, Queen Seondeok. :)

The series made me cry, empathize with the characters, think clearly about life, and most of all, Song Ha Young taught me to be brave and stay strong despite many adversities.

The show also highlighted that women can be as strong as men and can move around the world dominated mostly by men. ❤

These were all my reasons why Through The Darkness tops many Korean Dramas that I have seen. It was a dramatic documentary showcasing truth and darkness of this show that some people try to forget about. We should be reminded about them. A lot of things happen for a reason but there are people fighting against evil for us so that we could get justice. Most of all, the drama also showed me that we should learn to move on...