chapter thirty: change

Chapter thirty

In one second things could change so much it can surprise you.

In one second the light in your mind could tell you so much.

And in one second your mate could have pinned down your so called cousin.

I did not even have any idea as to how the latter happened. One second he was beside me and the next he was pinning Alexander down. For a weird second I realized Alexander was not doing anything to stop him. He was not struggling.

Toni was quiet but after the shock wore off she looked at me. “Tell Preston to get off him please. He will hurt him.”

I looked at her. I knew my next words would shake our friendship to a deep core but it was what I felt at the time. Betrayal and pain were not first-class feelings at all. “He deserves it”

“No he does not.” She turned her head to look at Alexander. “Alex come on, tell them the truth.” Her eyes met mine again. “Listen he did not lead them here, not in the way you think.” After a deep breath, she said, “Preston get off him.” it almost sounded like an order.

A few more minutes passed and finally Alexander managed to push Preston off him. His alpha bloodlines allowed him to do so.

As he straightened his shirt, he looked at me. “Listen carefully Abby, I did not lead them here to you intentionally.”

Preston was sending him daggers but he did not go into another fight as I told him not to telepathically. This whole new mind talk thing was weird.

 “You better explain exactly what is going on here or else I swear to god I will kill you myself.” Preston warned. His voice more threatening than I had ever heard.

Alexander raking his hair just simply nodded.

I looked at him; I was still grounded on the seat. Sometimes emotions make your knees week that all one can do is just sit there and watch everything.

“Intentionally?” I spoke in reply to what he had said. “My father and I have spent so many years of our life in peace. Those bastards have never followed us or disturbed and now...and now with you here everything changes.” I sighed, “Please try explaining that.”

“Do you believe in coincidence Abby?” he asked expecting an answer from me.

I remained silent. I was not going to reply to that.

“Get to the fucking point already” Preston ordered.

Alexander mumbled something under his breath and continued, “Listen this was all pure coincidence okay? So yeah it is hard to believe that but it is true.”

“If you expect me to believe that you are clearly not sober enough or mentally stable.” I said.

He sighed and I saw the look on Toni’s face. It was a look of love and fear. “Alex, please.” She said. She looked like a person who knew a lot of stuff about us. Alexander must have told her a lot of things.

He pulled her close to him. “This is a bit of complicated family shit” he said and turned to look at Preston and I. Preston had moved to sit down closer to me. It was like he knew I wanted him close to me.

“Abby, I never meant things to get this complicated I thought they would leave me alone and not follow me.”

“Why don’t you start from the beginning” Toni said. He nodded.

“I gave up my title of alpha of my pack a while back. I did not want it or rather I had far more important things to do in my life like find my mate instead of running a pack mate less. The latter is what my grandfather preferred. He has this stupid belief that mates make you weak and it was something he told me every single day of my life. He wanted to make me a better leader and by doing so I would make our pack stronger.” He shook his head as if remembering the incident as he spoke.