chapter twenty eight

Chapter twenty eight

“Are you alright?” were the first words he uttered as he looked at me for a second without moving.

I only managed to nod as I watched him carefully...

Did he know already? Had the men sent been able to tell him?

I looked for any tale tells sign but I couldn’t get any reading from this angle. Sometimes Preston was so good at hiding his feelings that I believed he would do wonders in a career playing poker.

I manage to stand up but my eyes never left his face. “Abby, are you okay? You look a little shaken?” he pointed out.

He was moving closer to me and unconsciously I took a step back. He stopped looking at me carefully. “Abigail?”

I looked at him.

“What happened?” he took five long strides and it was all that was needed to reach me. He looked me for a few seconds before he cupped my face in his capable hands. “You look shaken up...what happened?” his eyes did not leave mine at all.

“Just...” I stuttered, “Can we leave this place?” I changed topic. I suddenly felt very uncomfortable in this place that only a few minutes earlier had been occupied by that monster. I shrugged.

He placed a kiss on my forehead and smiled. “Okay as long as you promise to tell me what’s going on?”

I nodded as I quickly went to take my stuff upstairs. I don’t know where he would take me but I was not coming back here for a few hours. Hell, it still sent a shiver down my spine when I thought of all that energy that had been flowing in me.

Coming back downstairs I found him talking to someone on his phone, I could only make a few words. “He was here...I don’t care what you do find the fucking bastard.”

And then he hung up his cell phone.

It should have occurred to me that he was after all a werewolf hence he would have felt the scent of another werewolf in his territory especially inside his mate’s house.

He turned back and gave me a small smile. “Come on let’s go.” He grabbed my bag and opened the door for me. “Your dad is going to be fine with this?” for some reason I felt there was something larking behind the question but I just couldn’t hit exactly what it was.

“Yeah” I replied without giving thought to the matter. He would understand....and I would call him to explain right after I got the nerves to explain to Preston everything.

He drove for a long time and I was content with the silence between us. It gave me time to think of exactly what I would say to him.

And it sounded like shit.

Every time I tried to think of something clever to say to him that would make him see that I had possibly not cast a spell on him to make him think I was his mate...the ..

“What are you thinking about Abby?”He asked turning a bit to gaze at me.

I looked at him. “Just how this night has been a very bad night to me so far...”I lied but it was close to the truth.

“I’m here now Abby. You need not worry anymore...no one will harm you.” he reassured me.

“Why did you even come to my house?” I inquired.

I noticed he swallowed before replying. “There have been sightings of rogues in the area recently and as much as I wish to tell you they are just passing by, I can’t. They look as if they are on a mission; I don’t know but don’t worry.”