~chapter 17~

Gus pov:

I'm standing at Matt's front door. I ring the doorbell. He opens up the door and smiles. "Hey Gus! Come on in" he says.

He leads me inside and we both head up to his room. "So what did you want to tell me?" I asked, while sitting down on the edge of his bed like I normally do. "Oh yeah!" He says, sitting down next to me.

"Ok so... do you remember me telling you about Glandis?" "Yeah, is everything ok over there?" I asked. Titan, I hope nobody is bullying him over there.

"Well- ok, that's beside my point. My point iiiss, that I'm moving schools." Wait, if he's moving schools that probably means that he is moving away too! He can't be! Can he?

He continues his sentence, breaking me from my thoughts. "Don't worry, im staying in the Boiling Isles. But do you want to know which school I'm going to now?" He said excitedly. "Sure!"

"I'm going to Hexside!!" He said.

"Wait- really!?"
"Yeah really!!"
"Oh my gosh!"

I was so happy that I couldn't help but jump up and down a little. He grabbed my hands and started jumping up and down as well.

We both stopped jumping and sat back down. "You had me really scared there for a second" I tell him. "Wait, why?" he says, confused.

"For a second I thought you were like- leaving or something" I say. "Hey, don't worry- I'm not leaving this dump any time soon" he says, punching my arm playfully.

I laugh. Yeah, I hope he's right. "So.. when do you start at Hexside?" I ask. "Tomorrow actually" he says.

"Have you decided which classes you'll take?" I ask. "I want to do the construction course, but I want to try another one..." he says, trailing off.

"Do you know which other one you're going to choose yet?"
"Yes, but- I'm keeping it a surprise"

"Noooooo" I say dramatically "how dare you keep such a big secret from me, your best friend" I dramatically put my hand over my forehead and lay back.

He lays down as well and turns towards me, smirking. "You'll find out soon enough drama king" he says, taking my hand off my forehead. I can feel myself blushing.

"Haha, fine" I say, sitting up. Still blushing. He sits up as well and says, "Do you have any plans for the rest of the day?"
"Nope, not that I'm aware of."
"Do you maybe want to go for a walk or something? I dont know."
"Sure!"

We both get up and go to head outside. "Hey Matt, I know a hiking trail. It isn't too long of a trail but the scenery is really cool!" I say. "Sure, lead the way Gus" he says laughing.

I grab his hand and half-run-half-walk to the beginning of the trail. When we get there I let go of his hand. "Well- this is it" I say. He smiles and says, "Well let's go then". We walk side by side along the trail, taking in the sights. The sunlight peering through the treetops like a nosy neighbor. The sharp green blades of grass.

The fresh morning air fills my lungs with each breath. We walk in silence for a bit, each of us not entirely sure what to say. Then Matt says, "Hey Gus, have you thought about joining another course? I mean- you're great at illusions- amazing even! But have you thought about trying another course for fun?"

"Well, I have thought about it.... but I just don't know what interests me" I reply. His facial expression changes. It is now filled with a determined look. He gently grabs my hand and leads me to a grass patch just by the lake. He sits down on the grass and pats beside him for me to do the same.