~chapter 35~

Mart's pov:

It was now early August, and nothing had changed in the situation that was The Boiling Isles.

Of course now, things were starting to look a little bit bad. It had been about 9-10 months since the day of unity and there hadn't been any improvements on waking anyone up.

This particular day however, Matt felt extra crummy. He knew today was supposed to be happy, he knew he should be 'celebrating' or anything of the sort. But it was all useless. He didn't have anyone to celebrate with.

You see, today is Matt's birthday.

Matt is now a year older.

After all, that's how birthdays work... people say "happy birthday", you vlow out some candles, you turn a year older, and you don't feel any different.

Today was probably the worst birthday Matt has ever had. He wished he could spend it with someone who cared about him. He wished he could spend it with Gus.

He lay on his bed, covered in blankets. He turned on his side and curled up his knees to his chest. He didn't cry, he just sat there, wishing he could. For some reason right now he just couldn't cry. He tried to, he tried to make himself cry to feel better, but it failed.

He sits up and closes the blinds on the window right next to his bed. Then he lays back down, hoping to sleep the whole day away.

After about an hour of trying to sleep, he gives up. Tossing the blankets off of him with his legs, he sighs and heads downstairs. He takes a monster-cake from a container and heats it up. Then he gets a single candle from the cabinet and puts it in top. Lighting the candle he let's it sit for a bit. Then he says, "Happy birthday Matt..." to himself and blows out the candle and eats the monster-cake.

A/n (momster-cakes are pretty much pancakes in the Boiling Isles, I just made it up)

He walks back up to his room and lays back on his bed, hugging Gus' journal. He doesn't want to be alone anymore. He just wants someone.... anyone.... he wants someone to hold him and let him know they won't leave. He wants to know he isnt alone. He wants to have someone else to talk to. To talk about all the things that have went on the past 9 months, it's almost been a whole year!

Wow.... it's almost been a whole year?

Those are the words that set off the time bomb in Matt's mind. He feels himself begin to shatter from the bottom up. His eyes fill with big tears, making his vision blurry.

He quickly wipes his eyes with his sleeve and tries not to cry. He lays there and tries to do the one breathing exercise that Gus had taught him.

1..2..3..4..5.....5..4..3..2..1...

He closed his eyes and whispered to himself. "1..2..3..4..5.....5..4..3..2..1.." and after a minute-or-so, his breathing was more normal. He stopped crying as much, although a few tears snuck out every one in a while.

He sat up and turned on his TV to take his mind off of things.

In the end, it was a pretty xrappy birthday.

Gus' pov:

Today was Matt's birthday. And Gus wasn't there to celebrate it with him.

He had told everyone a month or so ago about his sexuality and about Matt. They were all super supportive and it was really nice.

Gus kept pacing around or fidgeting with his hands the whole day. He couldn't stand the idea of his boyfriend being alone on his birthday. It made him sick to his stomach.