Chapter 5: Panic attack

Dream POV.

George… the person who came back to the country after years of being away, was George? Oh shit why did it have to be George? I just stared down at him, watching as his terrified face looked back up at me. A couple long minutes passed of me staring down at him, at all of the features I remembered.

His fluffy brown hair. His pale white skin. His beautiful brown eyes. His plump pink lips. The way he’d glance up at me meekly every couple of seconds. I watched him for a moment before noticing his lips moving, he was saying something.

And his voice. I missed his voice. Just as much as I missed the words he spoke. A grin appeared on my face at the opportunity to hear his voice again, after all of these years. So I leaned closer to him, and told him, “say that again.”

It was clear he was shocked that I heard him, and even more shocked that I told him to repeat himself, but he did repeat it nonetheless. “Why am I here? And what do you want?”
God, hearing him after all of these years made my heart well with joy, but I covered it up with a chuckle as I looked down at him.

“You are here because your family owes me money. I am tired of waiting for cash. So I decided to take something that is of equal value to your family as the money they owed… You.”
“What?” The brunette responded, his British accent clear and exactly like it was from years ago. “That’s impossible. There is no way my family would owe money to somebody like-”

“Somebody like me?” I allowed myself to smile from under my mask. “They always say that. ‘My family is too kind to do that’ or ‘but my girlfriend would never owe money to the mafia’ or ‘but my son is too smart to get involved with that type of stuff’. They always want to believe their friends and family would never do anything wrong.”

“But that’s the truth.” The brunette objected, and after years of hearing people scream that it was the truth, this was the first time I actually believed someone. I had met George’s parents on countless occasions and they seemed too nice for that. “My parents would never do that!”

However he had to be wrong. I knew the guy who designed our systems, and as far as I could tell it had never been wrong. So I sighed before responding, “if that’s what you think. But don’t tell me you thought nothing of the fact you had to leave the country so suddenly when you were younger. Barely any time to say goodbye to your friends.”

I heard his breath hitch, and I felt bad for reminding him, but I decided to continue on. “Were your parents ever particularly secretive around you? Or did they discourage you from talking to too many people? Or once you did move did they discourage even thinking about moving back? Anything along the lines of that?”

Part of me felt guilty, afterall I knew that the brunette was not a bad person. In fact he was one of the nicest people I had ever met, but I couldn’t help it as I said it. My guilt multiplied when I saw his breathing beginning to pick up, and he began shaking. Clearly he was on the brink of a  panic attack and every instinct in my body was telling me to calm him down, but I couldn’t.

I care about him, and I don’t want to see him like this. But I don’t want him to see me like this. I don’t want him to see the fact that the man he once loved was now a cold blooded killer. The leader of one of the biggest and most dangerous mafias on the planet. If anything that would probably make his panic attack worse.

So I bit back all feelings and all the urges I had to calm him down and hold him in the safety in my arms, and instead leaned closer to him, so that he could hear me “Since I am feeling generous though George. I think I might allow you to pay off your family’s debt. But it seems we’ll have to wait until you wake up again.” I told him.

A couple of seconds later the fear, anxiety, and stress overcame him and he passed out, his head slumping forward and his breathing evening out as he slipped into the unconscious. For a few more moments I watched the now sleeping boy, before turning and walking towards the elevator.

As I stepped inside, leaving the brunette alone in the basement before pulling my phone out of my pocket and calling Sapnap. “What do you need?” He asked, after picking up instantly. “If it is about getting rid of the stuff then don’t worry, Karl and I are already on it.”
“Change of plans.” I informed him. “I want you to take his stuff to one of the empty bedrooms.”

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, before the ravenette finally continued. “May I ask why?” He said with uncertainty.
“You can see for yourself later. Trust me.” I didn’t say anything else to him before hanging up, and then calling Sam immediately after.

“Yes?” He asked once he answered, also having done so instantly like Sapnap had. “Do you need me to dispose of the body for you?”
“In a way,” I responded. “I have decided that maybe we’ll keep him around for now. Sapnap and Karl are taking his stuff to a room for him, I want you to take him there.”

“You decided to keep him alive? What’s with the change of heart so suddenly? You always seem overly eager to kill, especially on a slow day like today.”
“That isn’t your business Sam. Just take him up to a room and try not to injure him too much on the way, or else you will be answering to me.”

The elevator let out a quiet ‘ding’ as it opened and I was met with Sam standing there, with him holding the phone to his ear. Once the two of us made eye contact (or something as close to eye contact as we could manage with both of us currently wearing masks), we simultaneously hung up.

“So are you going to tell me what this is about?” Sam asked, crossing his arms as he examined me once I’d stepped out. “Or is it one of those times where you say ‘I’m the boss and I can tell you what I feel I need to tell you’?”
“It’s always those times, since I am your boss.”

“Fair point. But why this guy of all people? What are you planning on doing with him? Is he like the second coming of Christ or something?”
“Just do your job before I decide that you should end up taking his place tied up in the basement, okay?”

Sam did have every right to question my decision, since this was completely out of the ordinary for me to do. But this was personal and I wasn’t in the mood to talk about anything to do with George. So I sighed as I looked at him. “Just put him in whatever room Sapnap has dumped his stuff in, and keep an eye on him. Once he wakes up, tell me.”

“Understood.” The green haired man stated as he and I swapped places, with him now in the elevator and me now in the hallway. He pressed the button to head down to the basement and I stayed quiet while waiting for the doors closed. Then I turned to head back to my office.
_________________________________________
1314 words