Chapter 23: Early morning

Dream POV.

The temperature in my room had plummeted overnight. What had been a pleasant temperature when I went to bed was now an unbearable chill, making me shiver as I awoke. That had been enough motivation to get me up for the day.

After yesterday I was stressed, not that I’d like to admit it. I ended up having to shoot one of my potential partners after he accused me of sabotaging his businesses. He had not been the smartest of men, I must admit, he ran a human trafficking service, often helping people enter and exit the country illegally, and I never cared to play a part in that at all.

Still though, he was correct. I had hoped that if I anonymously sabotaged his business he was more likely to come to my group for protection, and in return I would receive some of the profit that his business made. Now that I had killed him it seems that I had also sabotaged myself, which made me chuckle at the thought.

Moonlight was streaming in the window of my bedroom, painting the walls and floor in a ghostly glow. I ignored this however, instead heading into the bathroom for a shower. All that I could think about was how the meeting went, and the dinner afterwards which fortunately went a lot better.

Nobody died during our meal which was another good thing, and Bad had prepared a delicious and elegant meal that everybody enjoyed, which no doubt helped in their decision making process. And then they all left after midnight, full of cigar smoke and alcohol, and most of which had signed deals with me.

I smiled smugly to myself as I finished washing my body and wrapped a towel around myself. It was meant to be a beautiful day, and I was planning on spending it out into the garden. In fact, maybe I could get George out in the garden with me as well. He always did look beautiful, but even more so when the sun was shining on his face, bathing him in a golden glow.

While daydreaming about the brunette I pulled on my clothes and dried my hair, hurrying until it was damp. Then with a bright smile on my face secured the mask, putting the strap around my head before heading into the hallway.

George’s room was only a few doors down from mine and I decided to pay him a visit, a light blush dusting my cheeks as I walked towards where he was staying. It was still relatively early, barely any sunlight, and so I knew George would be asleep, and even if it wasn’t early he would probably still be asleep, knowing him.

Just to be polite I knocked gently on the door, in case he was awake and changing or something, but when he didn’t answer I nudged it open slightly. My eyes widened and a small grin appeared on my face as I looked into the room and saw him curled up and asleep.

He was curled up under a pile of blankets facing away from me, and seeming extremely comfortable. There was little light, but from what I could see he was comfortable, and his breathing was even. Without even realising I was doing it I began walking over to where he was, and sat down at the end of his bed.

Watching him sleep made me feel happy, it sounded rude and stalkerish, but I had missed being with him. My heart had yearned for his company for years, and finally it was back, and all I needed to be with him was to climb into his bed. But I would never do that, especially while he was asleep.

After all, to him I was probably just a mafia boss who his family owed money too. Now he was stuck working for me, the mafia boss, until I decided the debt his father owed was paid off. I sighed at the situation, because it truly wasn’t fair that George had to suffer for what his father had done.

I knew his family were all nice people and I could easily have told my men to have pretended that the Davidson’s never owed us anything. Pretending that it was a clean slate and wiping all records of their history working with the mafia and borrowing my money.

So why didn’t I?

It was a simple question with a difficult answer, and I had deep down been wondering about the answer to that question for ages. If I truly loved George Davidson, which I did, I would pretend his debt didn’t exist and let him go.

But I didn’t, because deep down I knew that if I let him go I would be jealous. Because of my situation and his, there would never be a chance for me to reunite with him, plus, having him think that I waited for seven years for his return would seem creepy.

And along with that, who’s to say that he didn’t get a girlfriend or a boyfriend over those seven years? It was unfair of me to assume that George stayed single all of this time. Along with that, I didn’t even care about anyone else. Maybe he has himself some kids and just moved earlier than them to settle in.

God. Now I just felt terrible. I separated some children from their father. A woman or a man from their husband. But despite this I still just can’t bear to lose George again, not after all of these years that I had to spend apart from him. Call me selfish, call me an asshole, but I didn’t care. I just wanted to have him back.

I shuffled closer to him on the bed so I was sitting nearer to him, my hand reaching out and running through his soft brown locks. “Oh Georgie,” I hummed under my breath, smiling softly at the sight of him. “I can’t expect you to have waited all of these years for the hope of finding this out from me, but I love you more than anything.”

My hand drifted down slightly, brushing over the side of his face and slowly down to his lips, stopping right beside them as I stared longingly, wanting them pressed against my lips again although I knew that was impossible. So I just returned my hand to his hair and brushed through it with my fingers again.

“You will probably hate me for this, but I can not let you go, not after losing you for all these years.” I paused for a moment, just taking in his face one last time before continuing. “I will see you once you wake up, my darling.” Then I stood up and left, not wanting to be there too long because of the overwhelming rush of memories that came from sitting beside him.
_________________________________________
1156 words