CHAPTER 19

'You.. You moron! What were you thinking? You are so dead. Wait till I get my hands on you. Do you have any idea what you've done?' I half scream, I half cry on the phone at Rex.

I do not remember the last time I have screamed at him, if ever. Now that I think about it, I actually have never cursed at him either. That just goes to show how angry I am.

After spending that weird day at my office, the first thing I do after coming back home is calling my dumb friend Rex. I could not call him while I was working with too many people around me. I am already under too much scrutinisation.

'Sia, calm down please. Let me explain.' He pleads.

'What are you gonna explain? Is there anything left? Just.. Why did you do it?' I sigh loudly. 'Are you familiar with the word consent? You know where you have to take permission from the other person before spreading such a big fat lie about her?' I say sarcastically.

'What did I lie about? Aren't you my friend? Haven't I professed my undying love to you numerous times?'

'Now's seriously not the time. Can't you be serious for one freaking minute?' I completely lose my cool. 'Since when were we dating?'

'Ok, so may be that was a small harmless lie..' He trails off.

'Small harmless lie!' I exclaim, frustrated. 'Do you have any idea how much commotion your small lie caused?'

'Sia, that worthless ex of yours was trying humiliate you all over again as if once wasn't enough. He's also trying to make your work life miserable now. It can't go on like that. I was only trying to damage control. Let me help. Please.' He turns completely serious.

'And your way of helping is declaring that we are dating? How's that gonna help?' I feel like yanking my hair out in annoyance.

'How else can I help? I already asked you hundred times to join my american branch. You refused, remember?'

'That because I don't want to take advantage of you. I've already worked for you back in London. Have you forgotten how that worked out? Besides, I want to do something with my own merits. That was the whole point of coming back to america.'

'You worked with your own merit back in London too. Why do care so much about what others think? Forget it, I don't want to argue with you.'

'So are you going to take back your statement?' I ask hopefully.

'Of course not. Sia do you know what dating me means? I means, you've moved on with someone cooler.' He adds cheekily. 'They'll bother you less if they think you're my girlfriend. You won't get bullied. This'll come as a big surprise that they'll forget all about that stupid scandal.'

My eyes roll inadvertently. 'I am fake dating a billionaire and you think they'll bother me less! Are you hearing yourself?'

He is right though. At least about the I won't get bullied part. If my colleagues think that I am dating the Rex Warner, they'll probably leave me alone for the most part. But on the flip side, I will get hound on by the paparazzies. That could be a problem.

'Come on, I am way cooler and hotter than Caden Davis. Don't you agree? He laughs.' Say it. That your boyfriend is hotter than Caden.'

'Fake boyfriend.' I remind him, shaking my head. He's such a kid sometimes.

'Ouch, you wound me.'

- - -

I knock on Caden's door tentatively. There's an important file he needs to review before signing.

'Come in.' He says in his deep husky voice, making my heart skip a beat as usual. I don't know why but I am always a sucker for his voice. Pathetic I know but I can not help it.

'Oh it's you.'

'Yeah, it's me. Sorry to disappoint.' I could not help adding before giving him the file.

He raises a brow but does not say anything. He starts flipping through the pages without asking me to sit. So I just stand there having no other choice. An awkward silence slips through with nothing but the sound of rustling of papers.

'Um, I'm sorry for not coming yesterday without informing anyone.' I uncomfortably tuck a few baby hairs behind my ears. 'I was not feeling well...' I look every where except at him. Lying never comes easily to me. It has always been a hassle. Caden used to make fun of me because of it.

'Of course not. It's not a problem.' He shrugs and continue flipping through the pages. 'You can come at any time you want.' Sarcasm drips at his every words. 'Since you've managed to catch another billionaire, working must not be your main priority any more.'

He stops, finally looking at me. 'But you know what the problem is, honey? It's not your boyfriend's company. It's mine. And if you want to be paid, you have to follow the rules.'

'He's not my-' Here comes my automatic response. But I stop myself just in time. 'I'm sorry. It won't happen again.' I lower my gaze.

'He's not my what?' He probes.

'Nothing.' I shake my head. Since the boat has already sailed, might as well go with it. And fake dating Rex might just come in my favour. Also a beggar can not be a chooser. It is not like he has left me any other choice.

Then something occurs to me making me widening my eyes. 'Why're you so invested in it any way? It can't be.' I hold my breath. 'Are you jealous?' Amidst all the drama going on in my life, it's never come to my mind that Caden could be jealous.

Something shifts in his eyes. But it goes away as quickly as it comes. He lets out a booming laugh. As if the mere idea of it is ludicrous.

'Are you so far in your head that you think the whole world revolves around you? Just because you've caught another fish in your strings, doesn't mean the rest us also have to follow.' He turns serious. 'Don't get any ideas. I'm just surprised that someone can be remotely interested in you.'

Something's squeezed my heart hard and ripped it in shreds. 'Are you done with the file?' I raise my hand to get it.

'Wait.' He puts his hand on top of the file to stop me, making our hands touch. I snatch it back as if it's on fire. 'There's something you have to do.'

I furrow my brows. What now? Every time he says it. Some disaster follows.

'There's some clothes you need to pick up from the laundry. My assistant will give you the address and ask her to inform my security. So you can go in. Here's the pincode to my house.' Opening his side drawer, he picks out his card with his code written on its back and hand it to me.

'Also I am thinking of changing the interior of my house. Carla will give you my interior designer's number. Call him and set a date. Help him with picking a suitable design. You will be taking care of it.'

'Wait, what?' I am confused. 'Why'd I be doing all of these? I mean I'm not your assistant.'

'No, you aren't. So?' He raises one brow. 'She's busy with something important. It's not like you're doing much. There are many around who can do all that. You won't be missed.'

'So?' I give him a look of sheer disbelief. 'Why'd I be doing your personal chores? It's her job. And if I'm doing all these, when'll I be doing my job?'

'And what a fine a job you've managed to do so far.' He mocks. 'You were supposed to do one project. One. You've already messed it up. Do what I've asked you to do and maybe I'll give you a second chance.'

'I didn't mess it up. It just needed a little fixing. Will said so himself.' I protest, finally done with letting him walk all over me again. 'You were rude on purpose. You just love seeing me all miserable. And as if that wasn't enough, now you're also making me your personal slave.'

'And there's nothing you can do about it.' He hands me the file, seemingly done with this conversation. 'Unless you want to be a house wife. There's nothing wrong with it of course. Now that you have a very wealthy boyfriend.'

I narrow my eyes at him. He is right. There is nothing I can do. He is the boss. With a sigh, I leave to find Carla, praying that the interior designer will not be a pain in the ass like his client.

- - -

Hey guys. What do you think of this chapter? So you've finally met Rex. Yeyy. 😄 What do you think Caden would do next?