CHAPTER 15

Past: Flashback

'Babe, what're we doing here? I thought you wanted to go shopping?' Caden asked me, looking completely lost in the middle of the grocery store and pushed the cart forward, down to the isle hesitantly like he was not sure that was what he was supposed to do.

'We're buying groceries for you.' I shook my hands around to prove my point. 'You know human have to eat and so they actually need to buy grocery. It doesn't just appear magically on your plate.' I teased as I put a few broccolies on the cart which he loved.

I hated eating vegetables, I mean who did not? But apparently he was not one of them. I had not seen a more health conscience guy than him.

'I know that.' He rolled his eyes. 'But what are we-' he pointed his long, elegant index finger at me, then at him. 'doing here?'

'Your fridge is empty.'

'I have Mrs. Masters for that. She'll do it.'

'I know, you've people on your back and call-' I made a face. 'but you should at least know how to do these things. I can't believe you've never went grocery shopping before.'

He laughed embarrassedly. 'It's not half as bad as it sounds. I mean, I did come occasionally once or twice but it's just not something I had to worry about.'

It just made me aware once again of how very two different worlds we lived in. I could not imagine how it felt to have people tended to your every needs whereas I always had to worry about every small aspects in my life.

We came to the snacks cornar and I spotted my favourite chocolate. I also put two on the cart, thinking I would eat it on my way to dorm.

'Why do you eat this crap so much?'

'Hey!' I rebuked him angrily. 'Don't insult my foods.' I held them on my chest protectivly.

'It's not food.' He corrected me. 'Do you know how much curbs and fat it has?'

'I don't know and I don't care. Not everyone is a health freak like you. How could you not love chocolate? It should be a crime.' I cried.

'It's not a crime. I just don't like it.'

'You can't hate something you haven't tried. Here.' I opened one packet and offered it to him. 'Try this. I can't believe, I'm letting you eat mine.'

'Just forget it.' I kept it in front of him stubbornly. 'No, Sierra.' He refused, putting his hand on top of mine. 'You know, I don't like sweets.'

'May be not this one then.' It got me thinking. I looked around the variety of chocolates and found the perfect one I had been looking for. 'Try this one.'

He stared at my uncompromised face, then at the salty, nut filled dark chocolate and sighed. He looked pained like I had asked him to walk on fire. He held it tentatively and took a small bite.

I gazed at him hopefully see his reaction.

Caden chewed slowly and widened his eyes. 'It's not bad.'

'Not bad?'

'I mean, quite good.' He took another bite. This time big.

'Huh, see?'

'Still, it's not good for health. It could literally make your cholesterol level high and it would get worse when you got older. You-' I didn't let him continue and moved to another aisle to find the rest of the items on the list. He followed me.

'You better not inform this to John.' He grumbled, grudgingly.

'A few bites won't kill anybody.' I said cheerfully.

John was his personal trainer for his personal gym.

We shopped for half an hour, all the while he completed eating his chocolate.

On our way out, he surreptitiously tried to sneak in two more chocolate bars on our cart. I caught him red handed and gave him a smug look.

He had the nerve to look sheepish.

- - -

Present

We keep looking at other for a long moment, seemingly relieving past memories.

Suddenly buying chocolate does not look like a good idea at all. It seems far too personal and more meaningful.

'You're wrong. I hate it.' He gives me a cool look. 'I thought it was my favourite but in truth it wasn't what I wanted.'

I do not know if he talking about the chocolate anymore or about me.

'Oh.' I lower my eyes to my feet, feeling humiliated. It was very foolish of me to buy him chocolate.

What was I thinking? That was the problem. I was not thinking at all. If I did, this would not have happened.

'Anyways, I accept it.' He twirls it with his finger, his face betraying no emotion. 'Even though I'm not going to eat it and you're welcome.' He opens a side drawer and puts it there.

'Ok. Um- I'll leave then.' I stand up, ready to go away.

'Wait.' He stops me. 'There's something you need to do.'

Oh, yes. I remember. He was going to call for me to tell me something. Is this about the project? The one he had not approve and embarrassed me? I look at him dreadfully, expecting the worst.

'There's a charity event tomorrow. I want you to attend it with me as my date.'

'What?' I exclaim, horror struck. This is not happening. I can not be seen with him, specially at a charity event. It would be suicide.

It took me five years to get over the scandal and people to forgot about me. But if I attend an event with Caden, all of this would be for nothing.

And just imagining a reporter getting a picture of us together is making me sweating.

'Mr. Roberts will be there. He is an important partner in your project and he wants to meet you. You're the project leader Ms. Thompson. Did you forget that?'

'But you gave it to Will!'

'No.' He has the gall to look confused. 'I only told him to edit your presentation. You're still responsible for the project.'

There has to be something, some way out. 'Mr. Roberts can come here. We could talk. Have a meeting here.'

'No. Tomorrow's not an official meeting. We'll have a casual talk. He wants see your credibility.'

How can he see my credibility in a charity event? Caden has to be doing it deliberately. I can not attend an event with him. Even if they can not recognise me in an instant, they will if  they see me with Caden.

'I won't attend it.' My voice comes out shaky. I could not stop the tremor in it.

'Don't forget who gives you pay roll at the end of the month.' He looks chilly, threatening. 'You don't get to decide.'

I can not go through it again. Images of I, holed up in my apartment and paparazzies outside, threatening to break it flashes in my mind.

I break. 'No Cad- Mr. Davis please. I'll do everything you say. Just not this, please.'

For a second he looks remorseful, apologetic even, making me hope that  he would change his mind. But then his face turns blank.

'Tomorrow 6 p.m. Give your address to Carla. My driver will pick you up. You can leave tomorrow after lunch to get ready.' He divert his attention towards his laptop, dismissing me. 'You may leave.'

I do not realise how I leave his room. I am too worked up to care.

- - -