CHAPTER 6

100 reads! Thank you sooo much.😙

- - -

'I have an announcement for you.'

Everyone stops talking and looks at Caden expectantly, giving him full attention.

On the other hand, my heart stills hearing him. This is the moment when he announces my demise. He is probably going to make me a- whatever he thinks will make me miserable.

'I'm going to make a team from your department for our next project. You all know, we are going to invest on a resort and we'll also collaborate with other reputed company in building it. This'll be an important project for our company.'

An involuntary sigh leaves from my mouth, realising he is not proclaiming my end, at least not at the moment.

'I already spoke with your boss, Drake and also Will, seeing he was your boss before and chose the team members. I'm going to say the names now.'

I zone out from the conversation knowing fully well, I won't be in the team. I am not experienced enough for this and also because I know he won't do anything useful for me.

And I am right. I vaguely hear Lana's name and she squeals, making me smile. She deserves it more than anyone. She is really talented and hard working. I am happy for her. She will surely be promoted, if this project becomes a success. Which won't be happening to me.

Blast my life. At least, this announcement is not about me. I try to console myself thinking of the bright side. See, I am an optimist!

But of course, I speak too soon. I should really stop jinxing myself.

'Now, about the team leader.' Caden face becomes hard again. Well, as hard as it can get, seeing the fact, it is always hard. Sometimes, I find it hard to believe that I knew this man, even held his hand with everything I had.

Everyone, including me looks at Drake expectantly, knowing he would be the team leader.

'Your team leader is Sia.' He fixes his eyes on me. 'Sia Thompson.'

My face becomes blank and my mind just stops working altogether. It's my name, right?

My colleagues look at one another confusingly, searching for the supposed Sia, our boss is talking about. They can not be in the blame. Our department is really big. This and also because of my introverted behaviour, not all my colleagues know me. They follow Caden's eyes and find me at last, giving me disbelieving looks.

Bless them. Because I can not believe it myself. Have I suddenly appeared in an alternate universe, in an alternate reality where Caden doesn't hate me and treats me like any other employee and gives me chances to prove myself?

Because in this universe, this is not possible.

'I saw her CV. She has a perfect result and also she tried to convinced me a few days ago, how she is fit for the job. So I'm giving her a chance.' One side of his lips curves ever so slightly, mockingly, daring me to say otherwise.

And this is how he confirms my suspicion. This is a curse disguised as blessing.

I become glued to the spot and forget breathing. I am the team leader. He just announced me as the team leader.

Do I have any idea about how to work in a team to work on a huge project like this? NO.

Do I know how to act as a team leader of a big project like this? HELL, NO.

Also, when did I tell him to make me the team leader? I didn't even have any idea about the project until now. If I remember correctly, I was trying to convince him to let me resign.