CHAPTER 5

'I was told, you had a free spot here for me and I could come and talk about my salary. Now you are telling me, you don't?' I say incredulously.

She avoids my eyes. 'Sorry. You were misinformed. We did have a free spot but it was filled immediately.'

I grit my teeth in frustration. I am not even surprised anymore. This is the fifth time in a row, it happened in three days. You could have just said a certain deranged billionaire told you to say it, I bark at her inwardly but never say it aloud. I am just not the confrontation type. Besides, it won't change the outcome.

After my mental breakdown three days ago, Ian took me to his apartment, never asking me about anything. He just told me to be careful  and come to him whenever I am ready to talk. Which I still haven't got gut to do.

Going to his apartment was a good idea. Because I hate staying in my apartment alone and even more so, when I am feeling down. I slept through the whole night and half of the next day in Lana's room knowing fully well, she is waiting for a explanation.

That she did. I had to tell her everything that went down and after she cursed Caden with every possible curse word she could remember and more in French too because she also knew French, she told me not to worry.

The next day, Lana and Ian made it their mission to find me part times because if Caden went through his words, I couldn't work in any other company.

But Lana and I, both didn't realise the true extent, he would go through, just to make me miserable. I literally couldn't find any jobs that I can work at, no matter how small that is.

Even in a restaurant, Lana found a spot for her but instead she sent me. The result? They told me to quit, saying I am not fit for this job.

I leave the shop after talking with that woman, feeling very disheartened and weak.

I hate crying because it makes me feel vulnerable and exposed. But a few traitorous stray tears fell down from my eyes and I wipe them quickly even before they could reach my cheeks.

I have been alone and vulnerable my whole life and I hate to feel that way when I am supposed to be thriving  and enjoying my life because now I am an adult and a graduate. So I should be able to pay my bills and at last find solace.

But of course, I am Sia, an orphan who doesn't have anyone in this whole damn world. I don't know why God hates me that much or probably he just forgot about me after creating me. And now I have an ex who hates my gut and is set on destroying me.

The least, it could have been a fair fight. But no, he has to be a billionaire with all the power and money, who could have anything with the snap of his finger. Now, he wants to have revenge on me just for the reason that he can and also for the fact that may be he gets sick, twisted pleasure by torturing me. Can it get anymore worse?

No. It can't. My mind answers me.

I drag myself to my apartment thinking what to do next and how to pay for everything. I open the door, sadden by the thought that there is no one to greet me in my home when I go back.

I get startled by Lana's figure, sitting on my old, worn out couch in my small living room.

'What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be on work?'

'No. I am off my work.' Lana answers looking at me, scrutinising my face.

She doesn't question me anything, already knowing the answer by my pale, defeated face.

She comes closer to me and hugs me like a mother hen, creating an illusion of protecting me from all the harms of the world.

I don't cry. Just hug her tighter. But I get alarmed by hearing her sniffing.