CHAPTER 16

** I've been meaning to change this book's name and finally decided one. I'm also changing the cover.

- - -

'Please, get inside ma'am.' Caden's old chauffeur opens the door of the black limousine for me. 'Mr. Davis said that he would meet you at the event.'

'Thanks Mr. Masters.' I reply him softly. I remember him. His wife and he worked for Caden for years. I guess, they still are.

He nods at me.

Mr. Masters has always been kind to me. I do not know why, but he reminds me of how a father figure should be. He has not changed a bit in the last five years, besides aging beautifully. I think some things never change.

'Um- Mr. Masters, can you please do me a favour?' I get in, the inside of me knotting in twists scornfully.

'Yes?'

'Do you know if the event has a back door or something?'

He stares at me quizzically.

'What I'm trying to say is, can you please make sure that I don't get caught by any paparazzies?'

'I think I can manage that. Don't worry.'

'Thanks.' I look at him gratefully.

'It's nothing Ms. Thompson.' He smiles at me kindly, the sides of his eyes slightly crinkling. 'You're looking stunning and you still remember my name!'

'Of course I remember. You're very hard to forget.' I laugh a little.

The lavish interior throws me off. It has been five years since I get inside one, reminding me again that I am going to my doom.

I did not bother to go to office today and spent it on my bed, thinking what to do. Caden is on my tail. A day off without informing, can not put me in anymore trouble than I already am in.

By 10 in the morning, I was determined not to attend. Let him do his worst. I'll be penniless and on the street but at least out of public humiliation.

But by 1 p.m., I was confused. It was easier said than done. If I get out of my job and can not pay the bills, Lana and Ian will surely make me move in with them. While it would be horrible to live with them for free, lets just say for a second that I do. But what about my loans?

If I do not get a job soon and I know, Caden will make sure that I will not, how I will pay my loans. I will probably end up in jail.

Then, a terrible though pops in.
What if Lana goes to her rich parents to ask them to pay my loans! No. I get panicked. She can not do that.

But what if she does! My subconscience provides. She considers me her sister and I do too, even though we do not share the same DNA. Besides, she has history of going extreme where I am concerned.

So if I actually get stuck in this situation and can not pay the loans, then Lana will surely go to her parents, letting go of her pride and I can bet my college degree that she will. I can not let that happen in my conscience.

Lana does not like her controlling parents and this is the reason why she does all these odd jobs without letting them pay for her. She can get a good job with her college degree or just work in her parents company if she wants but she does not want to. This is her way of rebelling against her parents.

'Ms. Thompson, we're here.' Mr. Masters slides open the door making me snaped out to the reality.

I stay still, my feet unmoving. This is the moment of truth. Should I go in or go back to my apartment? My hands become clammy, sweating profusely.