CHAPTER 9

'Are you sure, you are alive?' Lana fake concernedly asks. 'I haven't seen you, like forever.'

'Three days.' I say exaperately. 'And I'm sure. Cause if I was dead, my ghost would've already haunted you in your sleep.' Pressing my phone on my left ear with my shoulder, I hurriedly balance piles of files on my right hand, involuntarily bending my body to accommodate its weight, which my dear boss, Caden has the sudden urge to look at.

'Damn, no ghost please.' She takes a pause, definitely to hide her panic. 'And if you were to become a ghost, you would tell me beforehand, right? I'm your best friend. Surely you would leave me alone.' Her voice hopeful.

'Hm, lemme think. NO.' I barely manage to conceal my laughter. It is always fun to tease this girl who doesn't fear anything in the world but runs the opposite direction when she hears anything remotely supernatural. I mean, come on, she is twenty five and still afraid of ghosts!

'Isn't a girl should go first to the person she's closest to even if she's a ghost? So don't worry. I won't leave your side, even after my death.'

'What?' She is yelling now. 'Why? I'm breaking up with you right now. I'm not your best friend anymore, no. Not at all. You should go for Ian. Yes. You totally should.'

I no longer control it. Burst out laughing.

'Fuck. You were making fun of me. Weren't you?' She asks angrily. 'Fine. Don't come crying to me when you really encounter one.' She grumbles.

'I'm sorry.' I shake my head. 'I'm not laughing.' Even though I know, she could still hear me cackling over phone.

'Whatever.' She huffs. 'Let's meet up at lunch on the restaurant beside your office. Ian would be with me too.'

'Su-'

I trip on something and couldn't keep my balance making all the files stumbling on the floor along with my phone with a thud. 'Shit.' I curse out loud and check the phone, I am using for the last five years, for any noticeable new crack but thankfully couldn't find any. I absolutely can't afford buying any mobile now.

'Kay. See you at lunch.' I hurriedly say. 'Lana, listen, I need to go now. Bye.' I hang up and quickly start picking up the files.

I was supposed to finalise the presentation of the project today but work after work just came up making me distracted of my actual work. I didn't even find time to go to Drake for final touch up of the project and I don't think I will be able to now. Besides, he seems busy too.

On top of that, Caden asked for a long list of project files, this company did for last six years. It took me a long time to distinguish them from all the other unimportant files and some more to look through. I have to brief him about these.

After all those thing Caden said to me for the last few days, I don't want to go near him within a hundred miles radius but everyone is busy with the project and my part of the work is nearly finished. So it will be really unfair to them if I make them do it too.

I knock on the glass door of Caden's room which is consisted of half of this floor and enter, bracing myself for my upcoming demise.

Caden is talking on the phone furiously with someone and pacing around his room, in another language, probably French. One or two familiar words I have heard from Lana confirms my theory.

I put all the files on his table as soundlessly as possible, considering its weight, even though I feel like smashing them. I already feel a headache forming.

Caden ends his phone call and turn around to sit on the other end of the table, opposite of my chair.

I remember his harsh words from that day when he said that he didn't want to see me without utmost necessity. So I decide to inform him before he can say anything again.