CHAPTER 10

'Ms. Thompson, tell me something, do you know what these sort of projects require?'

I feel at loss of words. 'Yes.'

'Do you?' Caden takes a pause, his imposing question hangs in the air, looming over me like a dark cloud.

'Then you wouldn't have dared to present this shitty idea in front of me. This is complete garbage.' He throws  the file forcefully forward, making it bounced on the table, then dropping on the floor.

The whole room turns into pindrop silence and I take a sharp intake of breath, desperately needing it.

'It has been finalised through a meeting and decided that it was the best choise-' I stop in mid sentence, not knowing what else to say.

'Best choise? So you didn't even realise the massive loopholes that it has?' His voice is utterly calm, icy.

'I admit that it has some small drawbacks but hopefully-'

'Small drawbacks?' His voice raises in disbelief.

'Perhaps, you have forgotten who your CEO is. Your past CEO may have accepted this but this-' He taps his fingers on the table for emphasising his point. 'is not how it works now. When you plan something you don't HOPE to turn it out to be best. You MAKE it best. There is nothing called hope or wish in a strategy.'

I only stare at him. My head is blank.

'May be you haven't noticed it yet but I never work with anything but perfection. If you couldn't do it, you shouldn't take responsibility in the first place. You should have said so instead of getting confident about something you have no idea about.'

Leaning back, he exhales, puffing some air. 'This is the shittiest plan I have ever seen in my entire life. You are wasting my time. Does this look like a joke to you?'

Does my dignity seem like a joke to him? I feel humiliated and completely defeated. These last few days hard work mean nothing now. He embarrassed me in front of everyone for some barely there problems which were negligible, just to spite me.

My head slumps down in helpless vanquishment.

I know he hates me. I get it. I really do. But does he have to do this, have to go through this length to make me miserable?

How stupid of me to hope that he won't do this. I thought that may be if I word hard and do my best, leaving nothing to complain about, then parheps he at least won't jeopardise my job. If not as a person he likes, then at least as his employee.

But of course, I am too optimistic for my own good.

'Caden, I have seen the draft. It didn't seem that bad. We can make some adjustments if you don't like it. She and her team did their best and she was doing excellent for a first timer, if you ask me.' Drake comes to my rescue, ever the gentleman. I look at him gratefully.

'Well, I wasn't asking you, Drake.' Caden says even more coldly.

'Look, Ms. Thompson, I don't need any slacking employee in our company. And if you can't meet our level, then you don't deserve the job. It's as clear as that.'

The ground shakes under my feet. A few angry tears form at the corners of  my eyes. My hands fist into balls. I won't cry. Not in front of him. I start chanting in my head. I force myself to stand still and turn mute, having nothing to reply.

Just what is his game now? The last time, he didn't let me resign.

'Will, I'm handing it over you. I need it completed within this week. The meeting is adjourned. You all can go back to your work.'