CHAPTER 4

'Hey, You really are leaving. You've only been here for barely two weeks. Can't you stay?' Lana, from my office says sadly.

I leave a sigh. 'It's for a personal reason. I really can't.' God knows how much I need this job. But I can't stay here as long as Caden is the chairman.

'I really liked you. Too bad, You're leaving even before we could know you properly.'

Smiling at this, I look at her sincerely. 'Me too. I don't really have any other choice.'

We both turn around and stop talking, seeing Dan's, a co-worker from here reflection on the glass door. He is coming towards us.

'Sia, our boss is asking for you. He needed to talk to you about something.' Dan's brows crunch up in confusion.

'Will?' Is it Will or Caden or someone else? I have too many bosses! Well, it's possible, if you work in a large company and only as a finance analyst.

'The chairman.' Dan says flatly. 'Probably to talk about that investment.' He concludes. 'But he could have talk with Will or me.' He wonders aloud.

My heart leaps a beat hearing this. God, no more Caden. What does he want now? I already told him I will resign.

'Um, ok.' I say hiding my frustration.

I go to the elevator and press 75. Caden is using the floor intended for the CEO. I have seen it since I had to come here last Thursday.

His Secretary greets me, already informed about my arrival and tells me to go straight to his office.

I try to calm my nerve and mask my face with indifference. I only have to bear him for this one last time. So I try to be happy knowing this. But my heart seems to sadden knowing it will the last time I will ever see him.

Caden is sitting on his chair and working on something when I enter. He motions his hand indicating me to sit and I oblige.

I decide to start the conversation since he seems more ingrossed in his work than talking to me and I don't want stay here more than necessary. The less I see him the better I will be and so will my broken heart.

'I already brought my resignation letter and this will be the last day I will be working. You didn't have to call for me just to know this.'

Caden stops working and looks at me. 'You have to give notice fifteen days prior to your resignation. You can't just stop working.' His voice is serious, unmoving. 'Seriously, are you even a graduate?'

I huff at him. I forgot this. Well, I had better things to worry about, like how I am gonna pay my bills and loans since I couldn't get any part times anywhere.

'I'm sorry. I forgot.'

'No doubt, this company went to bankruptcy. This was inevitable since they accept people like you.' He says in an underlying tone. 'I have to do a lot of changes to get it on it's feet.'

'Look, Mr. Davis. I honestly didn't know this. Every company has different policy. So I had no idea about yours. But I think you can make an exception for me since you don't want me here either.'

I choose to just act civil and not to pay heed to his insulting comments. Partly because I know this is the last time we are ever going to talk and I don't want to end it in a bad note and also because I know he hates me and saying all this just to insult me.

'Why should I make an exception for you? Are you someone special?' He asks sharply and looks at me with narrowed eyes.

I flinch at his tone and look at him momentarily speechless. His eyes are so cold and evil that my heart leaps a beat. This time in fear. Because at this moment, he looks like a person capable of anything and not to be messed with.