Twenty Two

We've been to both Carolinas, seen a big Montana sky, driven up and down the coast a few times. London, Paris, paradise.
Ain't got much memory of the scenes, come to think I missed 'em all. And damn, babe, it's all your fault. No matter where we go, no matter what we do, if you're there girl, I've got my eyes on you. Don't matter where we've been, no there ain't no better view than you in my arms with my eyes on you
Eyes On You x Chase Rice

Beckham

The rest of the week blurs by in a fashion similar to how we spent the last two days; snuggles, morning run, breakfast, work, any kind of errands that need to be run, evening run, then bed and repeat.

It's finally Saturday, which means it's block party day! We've seen our neighbors a few times on our runs, but our interactions haven't been more than a smile and wave so I'm excited to get to know everyone a little more. I've absolutely loved all of the quality time I've gotten to spend with Jake, but I'm getting a little stir crazy with not having much to do. I miss The Hard Deck and Aunt Pen and Uncle Mav, I didn't realize how used to seeing them every day I had gotten.

At the suggestion of an adorably pregnant Macy Carson, the neighbor that lives nearest to the Coles, I made a dessert to bring tonight. Natasha and Bradley made a giant bowl of Mediterranean pasta salad as their contribution. It's one of my all time favorites of Nat's and I'm sure everyone will enjoy the change of pace from the boring old box recipe. I let my hair dry in my natural beachy hair waves and opt for simple makeup, knowing I'll probably be sweating in the Texas heat. I slip into my favorite two piece ensemble that I picked up right before we got here; a lime green and navy blue patterned high waisted hi-low skirt and a matching cropped strapless top. Adding an extra pop of color, I step into my favorite magenta wedges and start the search for my favorite hoop earrings to finish out the look.

Bent over and sorting through my jewelry case, I'm startled by two warm and calloused hands encircling my waist. I smile as my fingers land on the earrings in question and I quickly secure them into my ears.

"I really hope these are the hands of my husband or you're gonna be in a world of hurt, mister," I joke.

"Aw are your skills already that rusty, short stack?" Jake replies, running his palms across the exposed skin of my stomach.

Goosebumps follow in the wake of his hands and my head falls back against his chest with a soft thud.

"Nah, I just trust you to be my big, strong protector and keep me safe from all the scary bad guys," I giggle.

He squeezes me tighter and nuzzles his nose into the junction of my neck and shoulder.

"Those are some high expectations, sweetheart. Good thing I can exceed them," he mumbles into my skin, the vibration tickling and making me giggle.

He places one more kiss on my neck and stands to his full height, which isn't much higher thanks to the extra inches of my heels.  I turn and take him in, my mouth going dry at the sight.  He looks damn good in a black tshirt, jeans, and cowboy boots.  He's absolutely in his element here and I love every second of it. 

"You clean up nice, cowboy.  Ready to go?"

"Yup!  I'll grab the dish and meet you at the door," he says with another kiss to my head.  Those little things melt my heart, and knowing it's just his nature makes it all the better. 

Since the Joneses is a solid mile from our house, we decide to take Jake's truck instead of walking.  Ever the gentleman, Jake opens my door and helps me into the passenger seat then deposits the baking dish in my lap.  We pull up to the house and see the yard flooded with tables, chairs, and families.  We wave hello and Roo and Nix walk up shortly after we do.  We all give each other slight nods to affirm we have our comms in and go mingle with our neighbors.  Jake and I bump into the Moores first and enjoy getting to know them better.  We learn that Brynne is a badass sports agent, repping a couple of well known athletes and I absolutely have a girl crush on her.  Her husband, Tyler, is a history teacher and baseball coach at the high school down the road and they have a son and daughter together.  Jake and Tyler get along swimmingly, sharing a soul deep love for baseball. 

We find the Coles and catch up with them while we eat.  Everyone did in fact love the pasta salad that Natasha brought and the cookie bars I made. Much to my chagrin, the next couple we chat with happens to be the hosts of the evening; Karrie and Todd Jones.  Karrie obnoxiously brags about her "tech mogul" of a husband and how they only feed their daughter, Fynnleigh Payge, organic foods so she'll be so much smarter than everyone else.  Yes, she did in fact, spell out her daughter's name multiple times to make sure we knew how different it was.  They pride themselves on being down to earth despite their means and I almost vomit it my mouth.  It could also be the fact that Karrrrrrrrie keeps finding a reason to flirt with and touch Jake throughout the entire conversation.  Todd either doesn't notice or doesn't care, keeping his eyes glued to his phone and only offering "uh huh" or "yeah" as a response to everything.  I've finally had enough when she makes a comment about wishing she could be a toothpick for an hour as she eyes the one in Jake's mouth. 

"Oh honey, you have no idea.  That mouth has made our bedsheets a biohazard on more than one occasion.  How terrible for you that you've never experienced anything like that," I fake sympathy and place my hand over my chest.  Jake almost chokes on his beer and quickly covers his laughter by burying his face in my hair. 

"You're good for my ego, darlin'.  But, we both know the truth is I just enjoy making you feel good," he proudly smirks in reply. 

I've had enough of her shit, so I decide to drop one of trigger phrases.  "Did you happen to bring any spare contact solution with you, cowboy?  My left eye is killing me!"

Jake immediately picks up on it, claims he left it at the house, and we use that to make our exit.  We don't worry about letting the others know we're leaving, confident they overheard the line dropped through their comms.  When we get home, I immediately change out of my cute clothes, stepping into boyshorts and pulling on one of Jake's giant comfy tshirts.  I collapse into bed, loving the smell of him wrapped around me.  Jake strips down to his boxers and climbs into bed with me, pulls me close, and settles in to talk about dinner.

"I have a bad feeling about the Joneses.  I really enjoyed Brynne and Tyler, but I just got really bad vibes from Karrie and Todd," I tell him. 

"You didn't like them because Karrie was poaching on your territory.  Seeing you jealous was hot as hell, by the way," he chuckles. 

"Well obviously I didn't like her all over you and she needed to be put in her place.  That aside, I just have a gut feeling about them.  Something's up with them," I reply with a roll of my eyes.  "Whatever, I'm exhausted so let's get some sleep."

"Goodnight, short stack."  Jake leans over and connects his lips with mine in deep yet tender kiss.  When we part, he rubs my cheek with his thumb and gives me a sleepy smile.  I snuggle into my unofficial spot on his chest, quickly lulled to sleep by his warmth and the steady beat of his heart.   The last thoughts floating through my head as I drift off are that we need to be keeping an eye on the Jones couple as well as the Coles.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Thanks for all the love you've been giving this story so far!  I'm loving writing it and it makes my heart so happy seeing you like it too 💕

I added the new couples to the characters chapter!  I love hearing feedback from y'all, so send any thoughts my way!

Xoxo 💋