Twenty Nine

You're the light, you're the night, you're the color of my blood. You're the cure, you're the pain, you're the only thing I wanna touch. Never knew that it could mean so much

Love Me Like You Do x Ellie Goulding

Beckham

I roll over in the morning and reach out for Jake, only for my palm to be met with cool, empty sheets. I frown as I remember he and Roo were gonna go scout out the venue today before the set up crew arrives. I move to flop onto my back again when I'm overcome with a massive wave of vertigo. My head spins and my stomach churns, making me curl up into a ball until it passes. Ugh, I must've gotten water trapped in my ear during my shower last night. I'll text Jake and ask him to pick up swimmers ear drops on the way home. Stupid sensitive ass ears, I swear. I'll never understand how I can roll through Jake's dogfighting without a second though, but a tiny drop of water will be my undoing. In about two hours, Nat and I are going to pick up our dresses and get ready for the gala tonight. The theme is black and gold, and we each found gold dresses we fell in love with. Hers has a thin strapped, corseted bodice with a sweetheart neckline that flows into soft, thin layers of sandy gold tulle with metallic gold vine like details that reach to the bottom of the dress. Mine is a little bit flashier, with a modern flapper girl dress feel. It has a peekaboo nude base with a low dipping neckline and sparkly sequin striping embroidered down my mid thigh, then flowing into a scattered fringe from there down to my ankles. There are a few small, strategically placed gaps between pieces of the design that sit above my hipbones and the waist is cinched with a belt. I felt absolutely stunning in it and knew I had to have it. I even paid out of my own pocket for it so I could make sure I keep it when we go home.

An hour later, Jake arrives home with ear drops in hand. I squeeze a few drops in my ear, give Jake a thankful kiss then head over to Nat and Roo's house to pick up Nat. She hops in the car and we make our way to the dress boutique. I still feel a little off and have to focus on driving through the swimming in my brain. Nat picks up on my abnormal silence and calls me out on it. "Are you feeling ok? You look a little pale and my ear is still firmly attached to my head since you haven't talked it off yet," she gently prods.

"I woke up with vertigo this morning and haven't been able to shake it. My brain is a little floaty and it's making me nauseous," I explain.

"I'm sorry, love. Wanna pick up some medicine ball tea on the way to the salon? I'll drive so you can rest your eyes and avoid getting carsick," she offers. I take her up on her offer as we pull into the parking lot. We head inside and the receptionist brings us to a dressing room for final fittings. Nat's fits her like a glove, and I gush at how beautiful she looks. When it comes time for me to try mine on, it doesn't slip over my hips quite like it did last time. With a frown, I ask the seamstress if she took the waist in at all. She shakes her head no, and I get frustrated. Nat sees my forehead wrinkle and asks me what's wrong.

"It's super tight around my stomach, I don't think I've gained any weight. If anything, I've lost some because I've had less of an appetite lately."

Nat's eyes widen as I say this, but I miss it as I'm looking over myself in the mirror.

"How long has that been going on babe?"

I think about her question before I respond. "A few weeks, maybe? I figure it's the extra stress."

Natasha

The wheels start spinning in my head as I process the information. I suddenly remember that she didn't have her period when I did last week, and we are ALWAYS on the same schedule. I think of a way to ask her a burning question without scaring the shit out of her.

"Hey Bee, when did you get your IUD? I was thinking of getting one now that Roo and I don't have to sneak around anymore," I offer.

"Shoot, I can't remember. I think I got it before we started our detachment? I dunno, but I haven't had any issues since. I got the 3 year...one. Oh my God. I was due to get it replaced earlier in the year but it completely slipped my mind. I had an appointment and missed it because of a mission and never rescheduled. Nix, what if I'm pregnant?!" She asks me with wide eyes.

"First you're gonna calm down, panicking and passing out won't help anything," I help her out of her dress and into her seat. We can stop by a Walgreens on the way to the salon, ok?"

Beckham

Holy shit. I'm trying not to freak out as I wait for Nat to meet me in the Walgreens bathroom. She quickly slips in the door, pulls a package from her purse, and shoves me towards an open stall. I pee on the stick, place the cap back on it, and set it on the toilet paper dispenser as I finish my business. I open the door and place the plastic potential life changer on the sink.

"You want me to leave you to it or wait with you?" Nat asks. I basically wrap myself around her in response, terrified to do this alone. The two minutes drag by and I jump when the timer goes off on Nat's phone.

"You ready?"

"Not in the slightest."

Jake

Rooster and I spent the morning scouting out hotel where this gala is supposed to take place. We did our best to identify possible exchange locations, but it being in a swanky hotel makes that very difficult. There are so many variables, and it starts to stress me out. We've spent the last few hours pouring over as many maps we could find while the girls get dolled up for tonight. I notice the time and decide it's time to head home to shower and get ready for tonight. Beck picked out a dapper suit with dark charcoal slacks and a black velvet jacket. She wouldn't let me see her dress, wanting it to be a surprise so she can "watch the jaw drop over the full ensemble" as she put it. Just as I finish tying my bow tie in the hallway mirror, Beckham strolls through the garage door carrying a dress bag.

"Don't look at me! I gotta get this on real quick and then you can see, no peeking!" She orders, hiding her little body behind the garment bag. Maybe 3 minutes later, I hear her heels click across the hardwood of the living room, and my head instantly snaps to look at her.

Holy fucking shit.

She looks drop dead gorgeous.

"Angel, you really and truly look like one right now. Wow, you're stunning," I stumble through the compliment, tripping over my words and I try to piece together an actual sentence. Her eyes light up at the praise, and she takes time to look me up and down appreciatively. "You look so hot, cowboy. I have fantastic taste," she smiles at me. I help her into the truck, careful to not catch the train of her dress in the door. We arrive at the opulently decorated ballroom and quickly find our friends at our table. Natasha and Beckham share a look I don't recognize, but I quickly let it go as Kate and Jensen join us. We fall into easy conversation and enjoy a fantastic 5 course meal and delicious cocktails over the next few hours. Around 11:45, Beckham excuses herself to run to the bathroom before the ball drops. Rooster and Phoenix are in the thick of the chaos on the dance floor, trying to keep an eye out for any nefarious activities. It's been a few minutes, so my eyes flick up in search of Beckham. I don't see her yet, so I open my phone to send her a text. I'm quickly distracted by a message coming in from Maverick to the entire group.

Maverick:
911
Intelligence just notified me that they have new evidence clearly linking Karrie and Todd Jones to the HOC. There is a meet due to happen any minute now, if it hasn't happened already. Keep your heads on a swivel and stay together, I have a very bad feeling about this

My stomach drops and I bolt for the bathrooms. I spot Beckham's phone on the ground near the door, but it's owner is nowhere in sight, making my blood run cold.