XVIII - Take This, You'll Need It

June 26
Choi Manner - 12:05

'Ugh, my head...'

San opened his eyes, only to cover them with his arm a moment later, as the light in his room was much too bright. He groaned and slowly opened his eyes again, struggling to see clearly with his blurry eyesight.

"San?" His mother's voice called out to him.

The boy hummed in response and rolled over in his bed to face his mom, only to find out she wasn't alone.

'Who the hell-'

"San, this is Dr. Ahn Jiyoung. She specializes in soulbonds much like yours."

San immediately sat up, ignoring the pounding headache that came with the fast movement. "Why is she here? What are you planning now?"

"I'm not... planning anything, San. She's only here to ask you some questions about your soulmate. Before that, though, you need some food." As if on cue, San's father walked into the room holding a tray with a plate of pancakes and a glass of ice water. The man carefully set down the tray on the bed next to San, then he gave his son a saddened glance and left the room, not saying a single word.

'What the...'

Brushing off his father's strange behavior and suddenly feeling very hungry, San reached out and started eating the freshly made pancakes. While he was practically choking on a piece of pancake and having to wash it down with some of the ice water, the doctor came and sat on the other end of his bed. Dr. Ahn stayed silent, seeming lost in thought. San's mother, who was leaning against his desk, chewed her nails anxiously.

'Why is she so anxious... I don't like this...'

When San was just about finished with his meal, that's when the doctor finally spoke up.

"San-ssi, how long has it been since you've seen your soulmate?"

The boy shifted his position and reached for his phone to check the time.

"Five... Five days."

"Is there anything that's been causing you extreme amounts of stress within the past week?"

"Yes."

"May I ask what's been causing you stress?"

San sighed, raking a hand through his hair while avoiding eye contact with both Dr. Ahn and his mother.

"My soulmate, the things going on in my soulmate's life, everything in my life; my friends have been struggling, my parents are turning against me, I feel like my cat is the only real one here if I'm being honest-"

The doctor gave him a strange look before moving on to her next question. "What kind of symptoms have you been having, San-ssi?"

"Mostly just a really bad headache that causes me to get dizzy and stuff. I actually passed out last night because of that. I've just been feeling extra tired, I guess, but also easily set off. Like one little wrong move and I'll pretty much just burst into tears or something."

"And can you tell me about your soulmate?"

When San buried his face in Wooyoung's neck the night they completed their bond. The way San held Wooyoung as he burst into tears only moments later.

"San-ssi?"

The sound of Wooyoung's screams echoing in San's ears as Wooyoung cried out for his mother.

The smiles they exchanged that day in the hospital after introducing themselves. How soft San's hands were compared to Wooyoung's as they held each other tightly.

"Sannie...?"

"Thank you, Sannie." Wooyoung's voice rang through San's head, fogging up his brain until only one sentence remained.

"Doc... My soulmate is the boy that went missing five days ago... Jung Wooyoung."

Dr. Ahn didn't say anything after that, only widening her eyes and reaching into her bag for something. She pulled out a paper and pen and quickly started writing something down. The woman stood up and fixed her glasses before handing the slip of paper to San.

"What's this?" He asked, eyes widening once he read the words written.

"It's a prescription I want you to get at the pharmacy. It numbs the effect of a broken soulbond until one can get their mark removed. Get this as soon as possible."

"Excuse me?" San asked, completely shocked, "Since when do I have a broken soulbond?"

The doctor just gave him a look - the look. The one that says it's inevitable, kid.

San gasped softly. "You don't think he's going to be found, do you?"

"It's just a precaution."

"You don't think he'll be found." San muttered.

'Bitch.'

"It's not that-"

"Dr. Ahn, may I speak with you alone?" San's mother cut in.

"Of course." The doctor agreed, following San's mom as she left the boy's bedroom.

San watched as the door closed behind them before looking down at the paper in his hands.

The doctor's handwriting was very bold and neat, and if she hadn't written the name of that horrendous medication, San might have actually liked her handwriting.

"It numbs the effect of a broken soulbond until one can get their mark removed."

"Bullshit. This is fucking bullshit!" Without a second though, San gripped the slip of paper tightly and tore it into shreds, letting the pieces fall to the floor afterwards.

He hung his head low and held back a sob, standing up from his bed and walking over to his window. San opened the window and kneeled in front of it, folding his arms on the windowsill and laying his head on them.

'I wish you were here.'

"Why did it have to be you...?" He whispered into the wind.

"You didn't deserve to be taken away. You didn't deserve the horrible treatment you've gotten. You deserve love and care and I wish I could give that to you."

A few droplets fell from his eyes, followed by a waterfall of tears until San was left a sobbing mess on his bedroom floor. He heaved for breaths and gripped his hair tightly, thoughts of his favorite person in the world violently tossing and turning inside his head.

"P-Please come b-back, Wooyoungie. I-I need y-you..."

--

woo we
oof
procrastination clings to me like a disease
but hey there's technically still 10 minutes left of Thursday so-