XXIV - Scorching Pain.

July 1
Hospital - 10:10

"Yeosang, h-his heart isn't beating!"

Those five words echoed through Yeosang's head all throughout the night as he sat rigid in the hospital waiting room. After having his injuries checked, he was released with only a minor concussion (surprisingly) and bandages wrapped around his head, arms, and on his back due to spinal bruising. His elbows were propped up on his knees, one hand holding his head up while the other clutched a bag with painkillers inside.

'Wooyoung, San... You two dumbasses better be okay!'

A soft hand grabbed Yeosang's own, and he glanced up to see the gentle face of his soulmate looking at him in worry. Yeosang sighed and leaned against Seonghwa's shoulder, closing his eyes for a moment. The elder had been with him all night and all morning, holding an ice pack on the younger's back and never once leaving his side.

Though he'd never admit it, Yeosang was extremely thankful for the other.

Seonghwa pried the bag of painkillers away from his soulmate's hand and set them aside. He then gently brushed Yeosang's hair away from his face and left a soft kiss on his forehead, knowing the younger was barely two seconds away from passing out.

"Get some rest, cupcake." Seonghwa murmured, "I'll wake you if anything happens, okay?"

Yeosang responded with a tired hum and, within 30 seconds, was out cold on Seonghwa's shoulder.

Seonghwa, despite the current situation, simply smiled. He found it quite adorable how Yeosang cuddled up to him in the uncomfortable chairs without a second thought.

'He's had to deal with so much... my sweet cupcake...'

Still smiling, Seonghwa shifted his position and reached out to carefully pick up Yeosang and place him on his lap. He gently pulled Yeosang's head onto his chest and took the chance to admire the boy's features.

His beautiful eyes, adorable nose, pretty lips, and his birthmark - oh, how Seonghwa absolutely adored Yeosang's birthmark. With a light hand, Seonghwa cupped his soulmate's cheek and gingerly brushed his thumb over the birthmark, watching in awe as Yeosang unconsciously leaned into the touch of his soulmate, the faintest of smiles appearing on his pretty lips.

Seonghwa wrapped his other arm around Yeosang's waist, suddenly no longer smiling.

'He wasn't this thin before...'

Before he could dwell on that thought, Seonghwa became distracted by the sounds of the hospital. Not just any sounds, though.

The shouts, the yells, the shoes thumping as doctors ran down the hall, rushing towards a patient who was dying.

'A dying patient... Better not be Sangie's friends-'

Just then, a handsome doctor stepped into the waiting room, looking slightly nervous as he scanned the people inside. Once his eyes landed on the sleeping Yeosang, the doctor visibly tensed, taking slow steps towards the two boys.

Seonghwa narrowed his eyes at the approaching male before looking down at Yeosang and gently tapping his cheek.

"Sangie... There's a doctor here to talk to you."

The sleeping boy groaned and shifted his position, snapping his eyes open when he realized he was no longer sitting in an uncomfortable chair.

'Am I... on his lap?'

"Kang Yeosang?" An unfamiliar voice shook the boy from his thoughts. He slowly lifted his head and locked eyes with the handsome, nervous doctor.

'I do not like how nervous he is.'

Holding onto that thought. Yeosang carefully stood up and bowed towards the doctor.

"Yes, that's me. And this here," Yeosang gestured to the boy next to him, "is Park Seonghwa, my soulmate." Seonghwa stood and bowed as well, eyeing the doctor's name tag that read, 'Dr. Lee Hyojun'.

Dr. Lee nodded and cleared his throat. "To start, I have no information about your friend Wooyoung's condition other than he is, in fact, alive."

At this, Yeosang's face fell, but he let out a relieved sigh. Seonghwa shot him a worried look.

"All else I have been told is that he is in the ICU under constant supervision - along with your other friend Choi San. After bringing Wooyoung back, it was rather easy for San to come back on his own. Their soulbond is truly remarkable, and - this is not confirmed to be true - I believe their bond may be the only reason they are even alive."

"Wow..."

Dr. Lee continued. "In just a few days' time, San should be released from the ICU and brought to a regular room. His condition does seem stable, but he will stay in the ICU for a bit longer just to be sure. You may visit him later if you like."

The soulmates nodded slowly, processing what they had just heard.

Seonghwa chewed his lip and glanced at Yeosang before sighing heavily. "It's wonderful that San is okay, but do you really have no other information about Wooyoung?"

"I'm afraid not, Mr. Park." Dr. Lee frowned.

Yeosang gasped. "Wait! W-What about his mother?"

"Who?"

"Wooyoung's mother, Jung Miyeon. She was-"

"Ah, in a horrible fire. Yes, I remember now." Dr. Lee glanced down at his feet and let out a small sigh, looking back up at Yeosang. "Mr. Kang... I am very sorry to inform you, but-"

'No, don't tell me..' Yeosang's eyes widened, and he began to feel dizzy. He clutched Seonghwa's arm for support and glared at the doctor in front of him.

"Ms. Jung," Dr. Lee continued, "well, I'm afraid she has left us. She somehow caught news of what happened with her son, Wooyoung, and her heart couldn't take it. I'm sorry, Mr. Kang, she's gone..."

'No... nonononono-'

Yeosang collapsed into Seonghwa's arms, heart racing and breathing shallow. Tears welled in the younger's eyes, and he quickly burst into body-racking sobs, sagging even more against his soulmate's chest.

Seonghwa wasted no time in securely wrapping his arms around the other, telling the doctor to leave, and gently dragging Yeosang over to a chair. Yeosang screamed, cried, and fought until he was finally able to break free from Seonghwa's grip and bolt out of the hospital doors.

His soulmate yelled as he followed the fleeing boy, watching in vain as Yeosang, despite stumbling every now and then due to his back and concussion, ran at his top speed.

Yeosang never stopped or slowed down. Not even when his lungs began to burn, when his head began to throb, or when his back began to ache.

He didn't stop until he was face-to-face with a very familiar blue door.

The front door to Jongho's house, where everyone was waiting.

--

ahem
...
my bad y'all-
Gravity by Jongho was playing on repeat while I wrote this chapter :]