XXII - Why Do I Keep Hurting Them?

June 30
Center of Seoul - 18:31

'Why did I do that?'

I can barely see. It's like I'm looking through a tinted car window from the outside; very dark but not completely black. The first person to try and approach me was obviously Yeosang, I could tell just by his voice.

But he yelled at me. He screamed at me, and I didn't like it.

And when he tried to take my mask, something in me snapped. He went flying, and even though I was decently far from him, I still heard the painful crack from when his head hit the bricks.

Did I feel bad? Yeah I think I did, but I honestly can't think properly.

Yeosang's scream hurt my ears, so I turned away, but I saw more people running towards us and before I could think, four of my beautiful spider legs lifted into attack position. I was nearly ready, just needed them to get a little closer so I could hurt them, but something distracted me.

"WOOYOUNGIE, STOP!"

A body collided with my back, two arms wrapping around my abdomen. The legs I was going to use to attack melted into a puddle of mushy tar due to shock. I coughed painfully from the force of the impact and in a form of protecting myself, I flung the person off of me.

My body still managed to react, though. My soulmark practically screamed at the skin-to-skin contact that person gave. I hunched over, clutching my neck desperately and choking on blood.

'Sannie... I hurt him, didn't I? Why?'

With inky tears and blood mixing together under the cover of my mask, I shakily stood up and lifted my gaze towards San.

The boy looked absolutely petrified. His eyes were wide in terror, his hair was a disheveled mess, and even though he was far from me, I could still the the frantic rise and fall of his chest and the trembling of his body.

San just sat there, blown eyes never leaving my figure no matter how much I moved around. He had one arm holding himself up, while his other was in front of him, almost like he was trying to block something. As I stood still, choking on some more blood, I could see how San's clothing soaked up more and more of the tar-like substance I secreted.

I took the time to glance around the entire scene. I realized Yeosang was right when he said I was flooding the streets. When I looked at my feet, they were completely submerged and just my ankles showed. That didn't bother me in the slightest, though, because I could just lift myself using my spider legs if I really wanted to.

And suddenly, I did really want to.

Someone used my moment of distraction to their advantage, and another pair of arms secured themselves tightly around my stomach. Their chest was pressed flush against my back and I let out a cry of pain, feeling how my spider legs were being crushed. And just then, as I focused on the person instead of the pain they caused, I came to the realization that I'd have to hurt them in order to free myself.

Because I could tell, just based on this person's build, that it was none other than Seo Changbin.

And Changbin is a lot stronger than me.

"Wooyo-"

"GET OFF-" Two tar legs melted and seeped in between Changbin's arms and my sides, re-forming themselves and successfully loosening the other's hold on me.

"STOP THAT! Just listen to us-" I was sick of hearing the same things over and over. Since Changbin's hold on me was loosened significantly, I used two more legs to get a hold on his upper arms and throw him over my head.

But Changbin wouldn't be Changbin if he didn't pull some other stunt. Right when he passed over my head, he grabbed one of the ears on my mask and ripped it off.

If I felt bad before for risking his life by throwing him like that, I definitely didn't now. Some bystanders ran forward and tried their best to catch him anyway.

But once everyone got a good look at my face, they froze.

I already knew what I looked like.

Sickly pale skin with a green hue, messy, greasy hair, nasty, black veins that showed through my skin, and cracked, dry, and bleeding lips. That's not what scared everyone so badly, though.

What scared them was my completely black eyes with lines coming out of them that closely resembled spider legs. The way my nose and mouth dripped with the bloody tar as it overflowed from my body, even dripping out of my eyes and ears.

All of that, compared to the rest of my appearance... I just knew I looked absolutely horrible, like I came directly from a small child's nightmare.

How ironic, considering I used to be the hero in their dreams.

With a new, terrifying rage bubbling up inside me, four spider legs took form from the massive puddle underneath me and planted themselves in a square around me. Deaf to every other sound but the roaring of blood in my ears, I pushed up with my spider legs, watching how the tar flowed around the bases of them, making them grow to my liking. I made it about two stories high before I called it good enough and stayed there, high up and away from the chaos I created.

Unfortunately, the voices of my friends were still very loud to me, even from up here. I couldn't distinguish their voices or what they were saying, but I could tell it was a chorus of please and this isn't you and you're hurting everyone.

Did I care? Normal me probably would, but the current me didn't in the slightest.

No, the current me only grew more pissed off as each second passed.

After what felt like forever, one voice rang above the rest.

"WOOYOUNG! Think about what your mother would want!"

"Do-on't bring her i-into this!" I shouted back, glaring down at the ground without actually being able to see it. Mingi was the one speaking to me, his voice is very distinctive.

"But she's awake, Woo!" Mingi yelled, his voice strained.

'She's awake...?'

"IT'S TRUE!" Yeosang's voice cut into my thoughts before doubt could. "She's awake and she wants to see you! Don't do this to her!"

"Don't do this to her!" My brain repeated the phrase over and over, pissing me off even more than before.

"I... have done NO-OTHING TO HER!" My voice came out as a slow, deep growl that even scared me a little.

'So this is what Minho meant... I'm losing control...'

It didn't take long for the substance flooding the streets to start bubbling like boiling water. The bubbles swarmed together and rose higher and higher, forming into multiple dripping spider legs.

I've completely lost control at this point.

They positioned themselves all around, getting ready to attack everyone below me.

But then, suddenly, I was falling.

The legs holding me up began to melt, all of the other ones following suit.

And I was choking. The inky, bloody, tar-like substance forced its way into my lungs, filling them up. It was impossible for me to breathe.

And then everything went completely black.

--

I'm an asshole for not updating last week and I'm extremely sorry...
if I can update again tonight I will, but if not, possibly tomorrow and the day after until I'm all caught up

have a good rest of your week though guys<3