Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I found myself standing in the middle of the woods, during the day time. My heart beats widely, even though its light. I'm not sure what made me come back to the woods, but I had to check it out. I had to know if what I saw really was real, or if it was all in my head.

Though, I do remember leaving the house and parking my car down a street or two. So, maybe it was real. I looked around my surroundings. There were lots of trees scattered around, with leaves filling up the forest floor. It was quite foggy, which I didn't like.

This reminds me of the first episode of The Vampire Diaries. Elena is in the middle of the woods—Well, cemetery, and boom! She gets frightened by a crow, and fog has come, and we all know that when there's fog a vampire is near. I mean... I know I watch a lot of Supernatural shows and books, but there's no such thing as vampires, right? There's no way. There's like, one and a million of that happening. Especially in a place like Beacon Hills.

Beacon Hills is a quiet town, we hardly get any tourists or new people. We're like our own Island, except in the middle of America. I've never been outside of Beacon Hills. Not even when Mom and Dad decided to visit Lucy and Sam. I was left behind, as usual. But I don't mind the loneliness, it means I got to spend time with myself... Which, now that I think about it, it happens a lot. As you can see, I don't have a very exciting life.

I shuffle my feet. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for. Maybe the thing with the red glowing eyes. But, do I really want to face that thing again? It has popped up in my nightmares three times this week. I'm always screaming my head off waking up and no one's ever there to tell me it's alright. I've always had to face these kind of things alone.

"What are you doing here? It's private property," I turned sharply on my heel, facing a guy in a leather jacket—wait, I've seen him before. Where the hell have I seen him before? I bite my lower lip, trying to figure it out, but he cuts me off. "I said—"

"I heard what you said," I snapped, cutting him off. "Now, shut up, will you? I'm trying to figure out where I've seen you before." Wow... I'm being very bold today, aren't I? The guy only frowned at me, stuffing his hands in his leather jackets. "Ah! You're my saviour from Lydia's party, aren't you?" He shrugged. "Are you stalking me?"

He rolled his eyes. "No. This is my property, Paige." My mouth opened to apologize, but nothing came out. What excuses do I have? I'm some crazy girl trying to find the red glowing eyes? Maybe I should be sent to the Eichen House. The Eichen House is a place in Beacon Hills where parents, caregivers, strangers even send all the crazy's to. God, imagine working there—"Hello?"

"Hm?"

"I said, what are you doing here?" He questioned. I bite the inside of my cheek, not really sure how to answer.

"Uh," Great, I'm back to stuttering Paige. I cleared my throat. "Nothing... Sorry, I'm just trying... To remember something... I guess."

"Remember what?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure." I lied. "Thank you, really, for saving me last night. Derek, was it?" He nods, his eyes studying me. "I guess I owe you one, then,"

He shakes his head. "No, you don't--"

"It'll make me feel better if you just said yes," I sighed.

He doesn't reply for a long amount of time, then nods. "Okay. Fine. Just this once."

"Well," I snorted. "I hope you aren't going to be saving me more than once, Mr I just remembered I don't know your last name,"

"Hale."

I looked at him and blinked once. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Hale, that's my last name," he spoke carefully and I nodded. That name does seem to register with me. The Hale fire. Around six, or maybe ten years ago there was a fire. Yes, the Hale Fire. It's quite a famous story in town, actually. Unfortunately for Derek, most of his family members died. Only him, his sister, and Uncle survived it. "And yours?"

"Madden." I mumbled. He almost seemed disappointed at my last name, like he hoped it to be a different last name, or something... "Is something the matter, or—"

"No, no." Derek shakes his head. "I'm just going insane."

I blinked at him. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Nothing," he muttered under his breath.

I shook my head at him this time. "You're really confusing."

"Confusing's my middle name,"

I refused to smile at that. "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard." I bite my lower lip, avoiding his gaze. "Uh, how old are you?"

"Almost 23," Derek responded. "Er... You?"

I blushed. I hated when people asked for my age, I'm always a year older than people in my year because I got held back. Not because I wasn't smart, but because I didn't like any of the people in my year group... "17... Almost 18."

"But... You're a Fresh—"

"Freshman, I know," I grumbled. "I got held back because I hated the people in that year group. Not that moving down a year group made much differences, I still hate almost every single person in that year group, too."

"I'm sure they don't hate you—"

I shake my head, glaring over at him. "You don't know what it's like, Derek. You know what? I'm done. This conversation is over. Goodbye, Derek. Sorry for intruding on your property."

I turned around before he could see the tears that stupidly well up in my eyes. "Wait, Paige—"

I wave him off, beginning to walk towards my car. "Bye!"

Why am I like this? Why do I have to get so emotional over a 'heated' conversation? God, I truly am the biggest baby. But, I was proud of myself that I didn't let a single tear fall down my cheek as I approached my car.

Stupid high school.