Chapter Forty-One

Ella Speaks
TW: mention of suicide.

Chapter Forty-One

The bus finally pulls into the view of Glen Capri. That was the motel that we were staying in tonight and students pile off the bus as we each take our bags, Coach was talking to us as we gathered around. The five of us were all exhausted as we stood with each other.

"I've seen worse," Scott says.

"Where have you seen worse?" Stiles asked, looking at the motel. A whistle blows and Coach holds up a handful of room keys in front of the gathering students.

"Listen up. The Meet's been pushed to tomorrow morning. This is the closest motel with the most vacancies and the least amount of good judgment in accepting a group of degenerates like yourselves. You'll be pairing up. Choose wisely." Coach tells us. Allison, Lydia, and I stuck together as teenagers spread out. "And I'll have no sexual perversions perpetrated by you deviants. Got that? Keep your dirty little hands to your dirty little selves."

Keys taken, the team heads for their rooms while the bus moves on to the park. But one person remains, still gazing up at the motel with concern. I looked at Lydia as Allison and I begin to step forward. "Lydia?" I asked her.

"I don't like this place," Lydia tells us.

"I don't think the people who own this place like this place. It's just for a night." Allison tells her.

"A lot can happen in a night." Lydia pointed out. Reluctantly, she follows Allison and I to the motel.

I opened the door to our bedroom and I grimaced. "Ew," I muttered. I placed my duffle bag on the bed. "Dibs," I tell them, jumping on the bed close to the wall.

Allison and Lydia chuckle. I collapsed on the bed. "Paige." A whispering voice spoke to me and I snap my eyes open.

"Anyone else heard that?" I asked curiously, looking at the girls as they made their way further into the room.

"Hear what?" Allison asked.

"Um... Nothing." I brushed it off as hopefully nothing. "Hey, um, I'm going to grab a water. Does anyone else want anything?"

The girls shook their heads as I made my way out of the door and onto the veranda, the night sky with twinkling stars above me. I looked up. "Paige!" The voice was a little louder and I jumped. It was almost in demand.

Where is that voice coming from?

I didn't dare respond and ignored it, walking down the stairs. "Stop." I heard another voice—the same voice. This time, I listened to it. It sent chills down my spine. I recognised the voice. I didn't know who. "Come." It beacons me, and I felt a sudden urge to follow.

I made my way back slowly up the stairs and walked around the veranda until I was met by a stairwell that continued up the stairs. Without hesitation, I walked up slowly and it lead me to the rooftop, looking out to the woods.

I pause, looking around and wondering what I was meant to be looking for.

I turned my eyes and saw a girl standing there on the edge of the roof. "Hey—Stop!" I called out to her and she turned around slowly. I was beginning to move towards her but stopped in my tracks when I saw myself standing there.

Her face was pale, her hair was stuck to her face, and she looked miserable. I looked miserable. Chills were sent down my body.

"We shouldn't be here." The girl kept telling me.