Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen 

The next week I'm sitting in Scott's room, watching him frantically search his room with Stiles. "Call it again." Scott requested. He had lost his phone.

"It's not here." Stiles pointed out. Tossing blankets, pillows, and lacrosse equipment, Scott tears through the place. "So you lost your phone. Get a new one."

"I can't afford a new one. And I can't do this alone. We have to find Derek." Scott panicked. Derek had been missing, according to Scott. We don't know where he is and the Argent's had captured him.

"Okay, A, you're not alone. You have me and Paige. And B, didn't you tell me Derek walked right into gunfire?" Stiles asked.

"Argent's plan was use him to get the Alpha. They won't kill him." Scott informed us.

"Then let them do what they're planning. They use Derek to get Peter, problem solved." Stiles told him and I nodded in agreement.

"Yes, then this can finally be over and done with because quite frankly, it's getting a little old." I groaned.

"Not if Peter's going after Allison to find Derek. I can't protect her myself. Which means I need to find Derek first. Just help me." Scott frantically spoke.

"What?" I asked, hearing the mention of Allison's name. "Well, why didn't you say so! Jesus, Scott. That should've been the first thing you said!"

I called Scott's phone, absolute silent from his other end. "You know, you probably lost it when you two were fighting. Remember?" Stiles reminded him. "When he was trying to kill you? When you interrupted him trying to kill Jackson? Starting to see a pattern of violent behavior here? No? Maybe it's just me."

His voice went straight to voice mail. "He wasn't going to kill anyone. And I'm not letting him die." Scott told us.

"Could you at least think about letting him die?" Stiles whined and I shoot Stiles a weird look.

But before Scott could respond, he pauses. "What?" I asked him.

"My Mom's home," Scott told us quietly.

I tried to read his expression along with Stiles. "Is she okay?" I asked him.

Scott shakes his head. "What's she doing now?" Stiles asked.

"Crying." My heart sank for Melissa. Scott slumps down on his bed in utter misery.

"Scott. You can't protect everyone." Stiles informed him.

"But I have to."

Shoppers rush the corridor of a mall. Allison follows Lydia into a Macy's Department Store entrance, and I followed after them.

"Nothing's wrong. I have a lot on my mind." Allison lied as Lydia asked that question.

"You could smile, at least. Ever hear the saying: Never frown. Someone could be falling in love with your smile." Lydia informed her.

I wrapped an arm around Allison. "Smile, Allison. I'm buying you a dress."

"I'll admit, as far as apologies go, that's more than I expected," Allison admitted to me.

"Brilliant." I smiled, clasping my hands together.

"But not as much as I'm going to ask." Allison gives me a weird look.

I frowned. "What? What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means—you're going to ditch whatever dumb jock that Lydia is going to set you up with..." Allison, Lydia, and I finished the ride up the escalator, standing on the top floor. "And you're going to go with someone else."

"Um... Who?" I asked.

"Him." Allison nods over towards Stiles, who was down the aisle, standing at the perform counter. He sprays a bottle in his face and reacts with a violent sneeze. I giggled a little but then turned to Allison to scowl at her for setting with up with one of my friends. "Don't frown, Paige. Someone could be falling in love with your smile."

We turn to see Stiles waving, then sneezing, violently. I walked over to him. "Hey," I greeted him, leaving the girls to shop alone.

"Hi," Stiles replied with a small smile.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know she was doing this," I admitted to him. "You don't have to go with me, you know; I'm happy to—"

"No, no, it's fine," Stiles said. "Besides, we're friends, right?"

"Yeah, absolutely; friends can go with each other." I agreed. "Let's start shopping, I guess."