Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

A couple of days had gone by since Derek saved Scott from Victoria, Allison's Mom, and it now the full moon which I'm very anxious for. I'm not only anxious because its the full moon, but it's also Lydia's birthday. I haven't had very much training for the full moon, I haven't fully learnt to control it, but Lydia is presuring me to go, no matter how many times I've said I couldn't go.

Lydia would always play the guilty card, claiming that I would be a bad friend if I didn't go. I sit in Allison's room, trying to play it cool.

"Paige... Are you sure you're gonna be okay?" Allison asked, frowning. "'Cause your eyes are glowing, just a little bit."

I blinked rapidly, having one headphone in, looking at her. "I'm sorry," I tell her.

She gives me a small, sympathy smile. "You can just leave, I'll tell Lydia that you aren't coming, and there's nothing she can do expect be mad."

"I—I can't keep blowing her off, Allie." I informed her. "The music will help. I promise."

"Alright, just... Don't let Mom or Dad catch you. They don't know you're like Scott yet." Allison reassured me and I nodded. "And try to focus on my heartbeat, to be in rhythm, you know? I know that help Scott." I focused in on her heartbeat, it was calming.

"I think I'll be fine." I tried to tell her. "Besides, there'll be music there. To help me."

"But, there'll be lots of people there, too." Allison reminded me. "I don't want that to freak you out."

"Allison, it's going to be fine." I promised, starring at my best friend. "It's not nighttime now, so, I'll be fine."

The door to Allison's room suddenly swings open to reveal an unusually perky Lydia raising two handfuls of bags from Macy's. Lydia almost gave me a fright. I sent Allison a look and she looked just as surprised.

"Clear your schedule. This could take a while." Lydia glanced at us. She brushes past Allison and drops the bags full of clothes on the bed.

"How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?" Allison asked her.

"It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress, evening wear, then after hours casual." Lydia explained to us.

While she begins laying out clothes on the bed, Allison gently broaches a worrisome subject. "I noticed you didn't send out any invites." Allison informed her and I noticed that, too.

"It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everyone knows." Lydia rolled her eyes.

"We know." I begin. "We're just wondering if maybe this year things might be... different."

"Why would anything be different?" Lydia asked, bewildered.

"You know, things have been a little off lately. Things and people. Especially people. Like Jackson." Allison tried to explain our reasonings.

"What do you care about Jackson?" Lydia shoots her a look.

"Do you know if he's coming?" I asked.

"Everyone's coming." Lydia assured us. Allison and I sneak each other a glance. I bite my lower lip, feeling a little anxious. I glanced at the full moon still rising. Breaking into a smile again, Lydia models a dress in front of a mirror. "This one's Material Girl. I love it. On me. Not on either of you. This is for you. And this one's for you."

She yanks two dresses out of the bags, handing them to both me and Allison. "No one's seen him since last night and I heard his parents are getting really worried. So if you know where he is—" Allison tried to intervene as I take a pretty purple dress.