III

"Of course, the child won't be able to sleep because some creep told him he'll see him again!" Choi Jung Soo nags the moment they came back. Lee Soo Hyuk and Choi Jung Soo asked how Cale and Kim Rok Soo met and that's how they knew.

Kim Rok Soo frowned and glared at Choi Jung Soo who won't stop shitting out.

Lee Soo Hyuk exasperatedly sighs and sat on the chair, "we look like some pedophile... we can't bring him here if he's that young."

Kim Rok Soo sat on the other side and brewed some tea. Choi Jung Soo, who contracted with the gods said, "what twisted fate he has."

That made Kim Rok Soo pause before he continued brewing. That child is too unlucky to have him as his fated pair.

That child will lead a miserable life. He'll live a lonely life – unwanted – unloved by everyone around him. His only solace was to be cared for and loved by Kim Rok Soo.

That's why Kim Rok Soo, who knows that fact, can't help but act like that.

He doesn't want that child to find blame or fault against fate and incur the wrath of the gods and the world.

"That child is sweet." Lee Soo Hyuk muttered. He had a smile on his face as he looks at Kim Rok Soo.

Kim Rok Soo in response said, "his only fault was being born as my One."

They can't blame him. They can only blame fate. They can't stop time flow and the only thing they can do is for the child to grow up safely. It might be cruel for him, but Kim Rok Soo can't die yet. Not when the enemy is about to reawaken.

If that child were born in time after the war, Kim Rok Soo, who lead an immortal life would gladly receive his blade and die by his hands.

"How cruel."

They're cruel. Behind their smiles hide the falsities they've lived.

"Rok Soo-yah..." Lee Soo Hyuk called, "I'll leave it all to you..."

That's the best thing to do.

It would've been better if that child can take care of Kim Rok Soo's broken heart.

It would've been better if his hand would hold this man gently and kissed those tears goodbye.

Soon.

They hoped that the child would lead Kim Rok Soo out of the needless rain and wanted him to see him smile again.

**

"Why aren't you sleeping early?" Kim Rok Soo frowned as he was greeted by the redhead. Cale had been waiting for him for two weeks now, no matter how late he comes. He patted his head and placed down the treats he brought for him.

"I was waiting for you!" Cale brightly smiled at him. He took Kim Rok Soo's hands and led him in. There's a small couch and table for them to seat now.

Whis City is lively as ever. "where are the others?"

Cale replied in a low tone, "they went to the city..."

"they left you here?"

"I'm not allowed to go out..."

Kim Rok Soo understands why. Cale is still young but his demeanor and build is pointing out he's an omega. Omegas are usually locked inside their houses until they're marriageable age.

"do you want to go out?" he asked.

Cale looked at him and smiled, "they might get angry..."

"you're with me..." Kim Rok Soo said, "trust me..."

The redhead child smiled at him. "okay..." he took the child in his arms without further ado and jumps from the window. Cale braced himself but they were not falling to the ground. Kim Rok Soo was jumping through the air. He looked at the older man. Kim Rok Soo was looking forward. The child couldn't help but smile and snake his arms over his neck.

"you scared?"

"no..." Cale replied, "just..."

"you won't fall..." Kim Rok Soo said, "I'll catch you every time you fall..."

His words were deep but Cale understood that this man would always be by his side. The child hugged his neck tightly and giggled, basking in the pheromones and warmth that he had never experienced from his family.

When they got to the city, Cale looked around and saw some nobles and common people mingling with each other.

"Cale..." Kim Rok Soo crouch down and wrapped him in a black robe. "no one will recognize you if you wear this."

It's the dark continent's signature robes.

"Alright..."

Kim Rok Soo offered his hand and the child gladly took it. They wandered around, trying treats and snacks. They would play in some stalls – enough to drive the old man tired.

Children do have that energy an old man like Kim Rok Soo doesn't have.

Cale's merry laughter and teases reverberated along the bustling city. Kim Rok Soo didn't bother taking memorial tablets to record this. His mind is enough to replay this scene whenever he wants.

Once tired, they settled on one of the secluded benches. Cale was nibbling on a tart that Kim Rok Soo bought.

"um... this might be the last time we can meet." The child spoke, he lowered the tart he was eating and looked at the older man, "we'll go back to the northeast tomorrow."

Kim Rok Soo looked at the child. He can see his disappointment and want, "don't worry..." he said, "I'll see you, wherever you go..."

The child looked up to him, his eyes expectantly staring at him, "really?"

"really." Kim Rok Soo raised his hand and made a pinky gesture.

"what's this?"

Kim Rok Soo chuckled. He took Cale's right hand and gently hook his pinky to his. "this is pinky promise..."

"Please, please, promise me, you and I can be friends. We can become a good friends. Let's have a pinky swear. please, please, promise me, I'll keep my promise to you, my friend." Kim Rok Soo sang.

Cale was staring at him. "if you can't do it?"

"of course, you can ask anything from me or punish me..."

"Punishments hurt..." Cale said not taking his hand off their pinky swear.

"Then you can ask something from me... like a wish..."

"Hm... I'll think about it then..." Cale heartily laughed that almost took the old Kim Rok Soo off his feet.

He felt himself blushing so he shook his head and turned to the side.

"Please, please, promise me, you and I can be friends. We can become a good friends. Let's have a pinky swear. please, please, promise me, I'll keep my promise to you, my friend." He looked at the child once again. Cale was singing the song he had just sung for him.

"I will wait then..." the child happily said. "you promised you'd come okay?"

Kim Rok Soo, too weak with that smile said, "I promise..."

TBC

Actions