CHAPTER 14

POINT OF VIEW: DYLAN

Saturday, October 14, 2028, around 00.00 A.M

Medusa touched her forehead; her fingers curled as if she wanted to detach something from it. An object of light then came out from it, and she pulled it out. The object was a tiny blue sphere; approximately the size of a ping-pong ball. Handing the sphere to Dylan, Medusa said, "This is my memory from before I was cursed."

"Dylan, no ... ," Athena said. "It is ... dangerous."

"How does it work?" Dylan kept fixing his focus at Medusa.

"Just place it on your forehead. It will show you the memory by letting you witness the event, not experience it."

"Okay," Dylan nodded. He took the sphere and placed it on his forehead; the sphere was then absorbed into his head.

In a blink of an eye, Dylan was no longer in the alley between two buildings. He was in front of a large structure, resembling all temples in Ancient Greece period. There were a lot of people coming out from the temple; men with Ancient Greek armor, and men and women with chiton or peplos. When some of them were approaching or walking past him, they just walked or kept minding their own business, as if he was invisible. Suddenly, he heard Medusa's voice, "Remember, you are just witnessing the event I experienced in the past. Hence these people will never notice your presence."

"Understand," Dylan nodded. He then put his eyes back on the temple again, waiting for any event that led to Medusa being cursed by Athena.

"I am so proud of you, Medusa," someone speaking in English stole Dylan's attention. He was not good in history, but he was confident that English had not yet existed in Ancient Greece period. Therefore he turned to the speaker, who happened to stand at his right.

"Aunt Astara, I am so glad to finally see you," a woman, having a striking resemblance with Medusa, was hunching towards an old lady.

"It is always your dream to be able to become the priestess of Our Lady Athena," the old lady Astara said. "The Mighty Zeus has granted such a noble dream."

"I will forever have gratitude over Our Lord Zeus for such an opportunity," Medusa smiled. "It's only by his generosity that I can serve his daughter."

"You will surely be a good example for other young men and women. I will always put your name in my prayer, so that you will always be protected from the dark evil forces of this world."

"Thank you, Aunt Astara," Medusa said as she threw her arms around the old lady's neck.

After a little while, Aunt Astara took her leave. Medusa turned around and walked towards the temple again. Everyone had left the area, so she was practically by herself at that time. Dylan decided to follow her, when he heard Medusa's voice again.

"In case you're wondering, the past me and Aunt Astara can speak English because my power has translated the Ancient Greece language into English."

"I see. That answers my confusion."

Entering the temple, Dylan could see a large statue erected far across the hall of the temple. Medusa was already there, arranging some stuff below the giant feet of the statue. He approached her. The closer he got, the better look on the statue he received. His immediate thought was the statue did not resemble Athena, but all the attributes on the body were more or less similar. He wondered whether the ancient sculptor really carved the statue when Athena was standing in front of him, or he just carved it based on his own imagination. Remembering Athena's short temper before she decided to adjust to the current world, he also wondered whether or not Athena filed a protest against the sculptor.