CHAPTER 10

POINT OF VIEW: DYLAN

Friday, October 13, 2028, around 08.30 A.M

"You may come in," Athena said after Dylan knocked on the door twice.

Dylan slowly pushed the door. Standing across the door and in front of a long mirror was Athena, who no longer wore her long white Peplos, golden breastplate and helmet, and ancient sandals. She now wore a white shirt with a cyan jacket on top of it, blue jeans and a pair of sports shoes. She also had tied her hair into a horsetail. The goddess of Battle Strategy had now transformed into a casual 30-ish lady whose line of work was in art and who loved to spend some time alone in a coffee shop with earphones attached to her ears.

There was one more thing Dylan felt upon laying his eyes on her. The goddess was stunningly beautiful in her casual outfit. Indeed, he had been aware of the beauty since they first communicated. Nevertheless, the way she dressed always distracted him, if not intimidating him. This time, she was just like any other average person on the road, thus reminding Dylan again of the beauty bestowed on her.

"What do you think?" Athena suddenly dispersed Dylan's thought process. "I just chose what I liked from these magazines and manipulated my armour and peplos to resemble them."

"Well, it's good," Dylan said as soon as he gained control of his thoughts. "Now you look like someone who just wants to casually stroll and enjoy a cappuccino instead of someone who wants to go to war or join a cosplay competition."

"What's a cosplay competition?"

"Hmm ... Basically, it's a group of people who wore fake armour or costumes resembling their favourite characters in the movies or games."

"I'm not sure I get it," Athena's eyebrows knitted together.

"Well, it's better to see them in the videos later. If we are lucky, we can encounter one while strolling.

"I see."

A brief pause took place before Dylan clapped his hand and said. "Well, since you're ready, how about we leave now?"

"I agree," Athena nodded. "Let's go."

Approaching the door to the receptionist area, Athena suddenly stopped and observed everyone reading in the hall. "I am curious," she said. "The internet has so much knowledge that is easily accessible. Why do these men and women choose books over the computers or their phones?"

"There are many reasons. First of all, reading physical books is less damaging to our eyes. Secondly, the sensation of flipping book pages is irreplaceable by the mouse clicking or finger swapping. That's why, despite the advanced technology for reading, many people still choose physical books."

"I can't say I understand the reason."

"The more you observe and experience, the more you will understand," Dylan said as he pushed the door open.

Melissa looked towards the door. Instantly, her eyes flew wide with terror. Dylan held up his hands, intending to soothe her. However, Athena went ahead of him, saying, "Please forgive what I've done to you."

Without waiting for Melissa's response, Athena opened the front door. Melissa's eyes confusedly followed her, but then they returned to Dylan. Before she could say anything, Dylan said, "She has changed. You no longer need to be afraid of her."

"O ... okay," Melissa nodded.

"I will leave now," Dylan said before he rushed out of the library.