Before Class

Victor sat at his desk in class, the last one in the front row. Normally he loved sitting in the front of the class but lately, Victor felt like it was the worst place to sit. Gym had never been Victor's strong suit and neither did he think he was athletically inclined. Elsa sat in her usual seat across from Victor; she set her bag down and pulled out her school book and pencil case, setting them neatly on her desk. Victor pulled out his school binder and opened it. Staring back at him was the picture that spawned the idea that fateful day in science class, the picture that Victor drew out of his grieving for his dog. Victor smiled down at the doodle before turning it to a new blank page. Victor looked up from his desk.

"Hey, Victor!"

Victor jumped back in his seat in surprise.

"Edgar, what are you doing!?" Victor shouted angrily at his strange classmate.

Edgar slammed his hands on Victor's desk and leaned over the desktop, Victor pulled back in his seat as far as he could.

"Victor, you did it, you did it!" Edgar cheered.

"...What? Edgar, I don't know what you're talking about." Victor said under his breath.

"I think you do know!" Edgar leaned in. Victor turned his head and looked at Edgar from the corner of his eye.

"No..." Victor mumbled.

Why is it still crazy, it's already been three days since the incident, will this ever end?

"You saved New Holland! Those sea monkeys, that goliath turtle, the mutant rat, and that vampire cat!" Edgar shouted, throwing his hands up in the air. "You saved everybody!"

Light, slow footsteps could be heard and Victor and Edgar turned their attention to the girl walking towards them, not a lot of people knew her name specifically and no one cared to know the girl with those big staring eyes. The girl looked down at Victor with her unwavering gaze.

"Mr. Whiskers didn't return home Friday night..." She looked from Edgar's awkward expression to Victor's guilt ridden face. "Victor... you saw him last... where did he head off to...?"

Victor looked at the weird girl and felt a sudden wave of guilt through his abdomen.

What had happened to her freaky vampire cat? He abducted Elsa and Victor chased off after her. He saved Elsa from the bat-cat and then Sparky had saved him from the bat-cat and from the burning windmill. And then... AND THEN THE WINDMILL BURNED DOWN! And that girl's cat...! How was he supposed to tell her that her cat burned to death!?

"Uh- your cat, he... he attacked Elsa and took her to the windmill. The windmill got caught on fire and Mr. Whiskers... I'm sorry..." Victor didn't finish his sentence.

He didn't need to finish, the strange girl stared at him for a moment longer before turning away from him and walking back to her desk where she sat politely and didn't say a word, staring at nothing in particular. Elsa watched the girl walk to her desk. She turned around to try and talk to the girl, she may be strange but she was nice and an occasional friend.

"I'm sorry about what happened." She whispered.

"It's okay, Elsa; it wasn't your fault." The weird girl softly replied.

This day couldn't get worse, could it? Victor sighed and turned his attention back to Edgar who was still standing in front of his desk. He saw that Edgar was looking at the weird girl with a slightly guilt look on his face... as well as a small blush on his cheeks. Victor smirked. Edgar was suddenly pushed aside, fallen to the floor by the incredibly tall Nassor, he towered over Victor's desk and gazed down at him with menacing eyes.

"Baseball practice is after school today and you are in much need of improvement if we are going to go to the championship this year." He hissed.

Victor found himself scooted down into his chair.

"Actually, guys, I don't know if I—" He started.

"You cannot leave the team now!" Toshiaki walked in on the conversation, followed by his guinea pig of a friend Bob, the boy would do anything his friend would ask of him, which resulted in his broken arm.

"We won our last game because of you and besides, we can't kick you off the team. I already asked." Toshiaki looked around annoyed.

"Oh... okay." Victor sighed in defeat. "If I have no choice..."

"You don't!" Toshiaki yelled and stormed back to his desk.

Bob looked between Toshiaki and Victor, cheerfully saying a good morning to Victor before following Toshiaki to the desk next to his friend.

"Don't be late." Nassor pointed at Victor before heading back to his seat behind Toshiaki in the back of the class. Victor put his head on the desk.

"I'm dead." He whimpered.

Edgar got up from the floor and peeked at Victor above the desk. Victor looked up and noticed Edgar right in front of his face; he jumped back in his seat.

"Will you quit doing that?" Victor said sternly.

"You've got baseball today? Hey! You need someone to practice with, don't you? I'll practice with you!"

"Uh, I'm pretty sure I have to practice with the team." Victor smiled awkwardly.

"Oh, but... but you're so horrible at baseball! You'll need practice outside of school!"

"Gee, thanks." Victor rolled his eyes.

"Please, Victor! Please let me practice with you! Please, please, please?" Edgar insisted.

The last time Victor let Edgar help him, he ratted on the whole class about bringing the dead back to life and told the students that Sparky was his science project! Victor would never bring Sparky back to life just for science! But then again, Edgar was a little like himself; he didn't have many friends.

"Okay, okay! Fine! If it'll get you off my back, we'll practice after school tomorrow."

"Oh thank you, thank you, Victor! You won't regret this!" Edgar stated before rushing into his seat next to Victor.

'I hope I won't.' Victor thought, putting a hand over his face in exasperation.

"Okay, kids. QUIET, it's time for class." Coach Barnes said in a yell as she entered the room.