The News

"Well, I'll be darned." The vet, Dr. Hawthorne, said as she looked at her clipboard. "It looks like Persephone isn't sick at all... She's going to have puppies."

"PUPPIES?!" Victor and Elsa screamed in shock.

"That's right." Dr. Hawthorne said with a smile. "I'd say she's roughly four days in already. So you should expect the puppies to be here within the next two weeks or so."

Victor and Elsa looked at each other, then at Sparky and Persephone; they seemed to be cuddling and smiling. It looked like they were pretty excited for puppies of their own.

"Thank you, Dr. Hawthorne." Susan said as she shook the vet's hand.

"Of course, Mrs. Frankenstein." Dr. Hawthorne said kindly. "Now I advise that Persephone take it easy for a while; we don't want anything bad to happen to the puppies. So no rough play of any kind, understand?"

Elsa nodded before gently tying the leash to the poodle's neck and heading towards the door with Victor, Sparky, and Susan.

"Thank you, doctor." Elsa said before she and the others exited the vet's office.

On the way back, Victor, Elsa, and Susan couldn't stop thinking about what Dr. Hawthorne had told them; in just a few weeks, Persephone was going to become a mother... and Sparky a father.

"Puppies, puppies, puppies..." Elsa repeated under her breath.

Finally, they made it back to the neighborhood. Elsa and Persephone exited the car and walked towards the Mayor's house, but not before Victor called out,

"Elsa?"

She turned around to see Victor getting out of the car and walking towards her.

"Yes?" She asked curiously.

"I, um... I just want you to remember that... if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask." Victor said nervously, a blush starting to form on his cheeks; Elsa blushed too.

"Thanks. And maybe we could talk about this whole... thing later on, so we can work things out." She said.

"Good idea."

"Come on, Victor. It'll be time for dinner." Susan called as she and Sparky entered the house.

"I'd better get going."

"Yeah, me too. But thanks, for all your help."

"No problem. See you tomorrow?"

"Absolutely.

The two smiled at each other and parted. When Elsa made it into her uncle's house with Persephone, she sighed and knelt down to look at her dog.

"I can still hardly believe it, Persephone." She said. "No wonder you've been acting so weird lately."

Persephone barked and affectionately nuzzled herself against her owner; Elsa carefully wrapped her arm around the canine in a hug. The Mayor cleared his throat.

"Uh... hi, Uncle Bob." She said nervously.

"So... what's wrong with that dog of yours? Anything serious?" Mayor Bergermeister asked.

The girl looked at her dog, who looked at her worriedly; Elsa had no idea what to say.

At Victor's house, Victor and Susan had told Edward everything.

"Puppies?!" Edward exclaimed with wide eyes.

"Yep. Dr. Hawthorne said that they'll be born in a couple weeks." Victor said, nodding his head.

"Well I'll be... Sparky's going to be a father!" Edward exclaimed; Sparky shot up and trotted towards the dinner table at the mention of his name.

"I still hardly believe it, dear. When we were given the news, I was genuinely floored." Susan said as she took her seat. "But as exciting as this is, we'll need to be prepared for when the puppies do arrive. We'll need a plan."

"Yes, but what do you say we go over it a little later on down the line?" Edward suggested. "For now, I'd just like to enjoy dinner."

"Good idea." Victor said.

"But first... Victor, I'd like to talk to you about this new school project." Edward said.

"Project?"

"This pen pal project."

"Oh, that. What about it?"

"I just think... that it's a great idea!"

"Okay dad, let me just... Wait, what?"

"I said it's a great idea. This would be a fantastic way for you to make friends. Have you figured out what you wanted to write yet?"

"...Not yet."

"Well you'd better get started on it. It's due tomorrow, isn't it?"

"Oh yeah."

"But remember; if you need any help, don't be afraid to ask us."

After dinner, Victor sat at his desk in his room looking at an open notebook and a pencil in his hand. He wanted to write a good letter, but he had never done this pen pal thing before so he had no idea what to do. Sparky was lying on the bed, looking at his owner with curious eyes. Victor groaned in frustration.

"Ugh! I just don't know!" He exclaimed. "There are so many things I can write, but I've got nothing!"

"Victor?" Susan said.

"Mom? What are you doing?" Victor asked, turning around to see his mother enter his room.

"Nothing; it's just I couldn't help but overhear."

"Oh, that. Well... right now, I have no clue what to write; I just keep drawing a blank."

"It's okay, sweetheart. Everyone gets writer's block from time to time... Do you need any help?"

"...Yeah, I think I do."