A Surprise For Peter

During the summer months, a three-year-old Peter had noticed that there was something off about his parents recently. They were holding hushed discussions behind closed doors. One morning, he was sitting on the floor playing with a racecar when he noticed Elsa about to leave the house.

"Where are you going, mommy?" Peter asked.

"Oh, just to the clinic." Elsa said shiftily, grabbing the car keys. "I have to get my regular check-up from Dr. Rodney. See you soon. Love you!"

And with that Elsa dashed out, shutting the door behind her.

"Okay..." Peter shrugged as he heard the car start and drive off.

"Well, look at this." Victor smiled, kneeling beside his son. "It's just you and me here today. Wanna go outside and play catch, kiddo?"

"Would I!" Peter chuckled, standing up.

After a bracing session of fun in the front yard, Peter and Victor went back indoors. An hour later, Elsa returned home.

"Victor?" She pointed toward the kitchen. "A word?"

"Sure, honey." Victor nodded.

The two went into the kitchen. There were hushed whispers, then a gasp of surprise from Victor followed by a whoop of glee. He and Elsa came back into the main room, wearing large smiles. He could also see his mother crying and he gasped in fright.

"Mommy? Daddy? What's wrong?" Peter asked nervously.

"Peter... nothing is wrong. We're just very happy." Victor told his son.

"About what?" The boy asked, stumped.

"Honey, we have great news." Elsa added.

"What is it?" Peter asked again.

Elsa then picked up her son and gently placed him onto the sofa; she and Victor sat down on either side of him with their excited grins still adorning their faces.

"What's going on?" Peter asked worriedly.

"Peter... we're having a baby." Elsa announced.

"W-what?" Peter stuttered, his eyes wide with shock.

"That's right, kiddo. You're going to be a big brother." Victor beamed, nodding his head.

Peter couldn't believe what he was hearing; he had always wanted to have a little brother or sister, but he didn't expect to have one so soon. Suddenly, his look of shock and disbelief faded into a look of pure excitement and wonder. He stood up and jumped for joy on the sofa as he laughed.

"You're pretty thrilled about this, huh?" Elsa giggled.

Peter didn't answer; he just continued to laugh, jump for joy, and even run around the room a little bit.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'." Victor chuckled, wrapping an arm around his wife's shoulder.

Peter looked and quickly jumped back onto the couch, joining in on the embrace. He looked up at Elsa, who was smiling down at him.

"When will the baby be here? Today? My next birthday? Christmas?!" He asked excitedly.

"Sorry kiddo, but no." Victor replied. "The baby will probably be here sometime next spring."

"Awww." Peter sighed, sounding disappointed. "...but where is the baby?"

"It's on its way, honey." Elsa said, pulling her son close. "You'll need to be patient, but don't worry. After waiting, it'll be worth it in the end. You'll see."

Peter grinned and wrapped his arms around his mother's waist in a hug; Elsa smiled and ruffled his hair before giving him a kiss on the forehead. She looked at Victor who smiled back at her. In a matter of months, they were going to be a family of four.