In the Eighth Grade

A couple of years went by and Coal, Raven, Anastasia, and Hades had grown up into sweet, energetic, and playful dogs; Victor, Elsa, Sparky, and Persephone took very good care of the four of them and played with them all the time. And during that time, Victor would write to his new friend, Shamus, almost every day, telling him about different exciting things that happened like the birth of the puppies and him participating in the science fair even with his still broken arm at the time. Elsa had also gained a pen pal of her own; it was a young named Kristen who lived out in New York City.

During that time, Victor and Elsa had started to grow closer and closer as friends and they were almost inseparable, rarely separated. They would be seen doing homework together, studying together, and even having lunch together... which the rest of the class quickly noticed.

Finally, they reached middle school. The eighth grade had started and everyone was going through puberty... and pheromones were in the air.

One day in class, Edgar approached Victor's desk.

"Hey, Victor." The hunchback said.

"Hi, Edgar." Victor uneasily greeted. "...Can I help you?"

"As a matter of fact... you can." Edgar said quickly. "I need... advice."

"If you want advice on doing better in baseball, then go ask Toshiaki or Nassor. I can't help you there."

"No, not baseball advice... I need advice on girls."

Victor's eye widened; did he just hear the hunchback right or was he still asleep back at home?

"Girls?" He repeated.

"Yes." Edgar whispered. "The whole school has seen you with Elsa for the past two years and I just want to know... how do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"How are you guys so close? Even after these several months?"

"Oh, uh... I don't know. I guess we just enjoy each other's company, that's all. And since Sparky and Persephone had their pups, I guess we just...grew closer."

"Enjoy your company, huh? ...Thanks, Victor. I owe you."

"Hold up, Edgar... Why do you need advice on girls all of a sudden?"

Edgar froze and gulped; his eyes seemed to be glancing in a different direction... and a small blush was starting to form on his cheeks. When the teacher entered the classroom, he relaxed and quickly headed over to his seat near the back. Victor was confused and he looked to see where Edgar was looking; it was the Weird Girl sitting in the very back of the classroom.

At lunch, Victor decided to investigate Edgar's behavior... which was much stranger than usual. He approached Edgar who was sitting with Bob and Toshiaki.

"Hey, Edgar? Why did you ask me that question in class?" Victor asked.

"Uh, what question?" Edgar asked, trying to sound innocent.

"The one about girls. What's that all about?" Victor replied.

"Edgar? Why do you ask Victor for advice on girls?" Toshiaki questioned, raising an eyebrow.

The hunchback froze and said nothing for a good minute before Bob asked a question of his own.

"Is this about that dance coming up?" He asked.

"What dance?" Victor asked as he sat down.

"You don't know?" Toshiaki exclaimed before he took a poster out of his backpack and handed it to Victor. "There is a masquerade dance coming up for Halloween. Everyone will be going."