A Surprise at College Graduation

"Dear Victor,

I'm so sorry about what happened to Sparky and Persephone; my condolences to both of them and you and Elsa. Speaking of Elsa, I'm glad to hear that you two are together. Judging by the photos you sent me, you two make a beautiful couple... if you don't mind me saying so. I wish I knew what it was like to have someone as loving and caring as Elsa close to me. Sorry if I'm rambling. But I hope to talk to you again soon, my friend.

Signed,

Shamus"

Victor read over the letter from Shamus a few more times; this was from four years ago and he hasn't received another letter since. Victor was starting to worry about his friend; he hoped nothing bad had happened to him. His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door. He went to answer it and there was Elsa in her graduation gown and cap with a big smile on her face; it was their college graduation day.

They both majored in science while Elsa had a minor in history and Victor had a minor in veterinary studies. They've been dating for the past seven years, they graduated high school as a pair, and now they were graduating college as a couple.

"You ready?" She asked.

"...I am now." Victor replied as he took his girlfriend's hand and walked out the door with her.

As the ceremony began, the Dean stood in the center of the stage as the crowds of proud parents and little siblings cheered and clapped their hands in applause. Dean Talbot recited his opening speech, talking about how proud he was of every single one of the graduates standing here today. He then began listing off the names of the students one by one, each one of them rising from their chair and receiving their diploma from the Dean when they were called. Victor and Elsa sat next to one another in the students' seating area, holding hands and nervously waiting for their names to be called. About three quarters through, Victor noticed that neither of their names had been called yet, despite 'E' names already having passed. Why hadn't they been called yet?

Soon enough, pretty much everyone except Victor and Elsa had been given their diploma. Elsa looked around, confused and slightly worried.

'What was going on?' She asked herself.

"Victor Frankenstein and Elsa Van Helsing." The Dean announced as he beckoned the couple onto the stage.

Blushing furiously, Elsa followed Victor onto the stage and they stopped, standing before the Dean.

"I am very proud of the both of you." Dean Talbot began. "You are the highest ranking students and valedictorians this University has ever seen, starting out at the age of seventeen. And it is my pleasure to grant you the highest honor this school can bestow that of the Hound."

The Dean reached behind him, pulled out two scrolls, and gave one to Victor and Elsa. Within the scrolls were small golden badges in the shape of shields, each with the silhouette of the head of a noble dog in the center. With proud smiles, Elsa and Victor fastened their badges onto their graduation gowns with their diplomas in hand. The Hound Award was awarded to only the best of the best, the students who really caught the eye of the Dean.

Today was truly the greatest day in Elsa and Victor's lives.

As they turned to face the cheering crowd before them, Dean Talbot tapped Victor on the shoulder and gave him a small package. Victor grinned as Talbot gave him a sly wink; Elsa watched this exchange with confusion... she didn't even see the box in her boyfriend's hand. What was going on? Victor then turned to face Elsa, his dark eyes looking deep into hers. He got down on one knee and opened the small box, which revealed an absolutely beautiful ring. Elsa's eyes began to fill up with tears as the crowd gasped.

"Elsa Van Helsing?" Victor began.

The room quickly went silent.

"Y-y-yes, Victor?" Elsa replied hesitantly.

"...Do you love me?"

Elsa's lower lip trembled and tears streamed down her cheeks; she slowly nodded.

"...Yes."

"Then... will you marry me?"

Victor grinned a hopeful smile up at her, his warm gaze lighting up Elsa's heart and soul; more tears of joy fell from her eyes.

"Yes, yes, YES!" She cried as Victor took the ring out of the box and placed it onto her finger.

Victor stood up before Elsa wrapped her arms around him in the biggest hug she could muster; he returned the embrace. The crowd roared and Dean Talbot beamed before the young couple shared a passionate kiss.

'This really is the best day ever.' Elsa thought.