chapter 14

I opened my letter.

Dear Emily,

I want to say welcome to the family. I am so proud to call you my daughter now. I'm glad my son has found a place in your heart and I hope he makes happy. Sometimes though it is alright to knock him in the head. (Just joking)

Sean is a good boy and will love you fiercely. One day I hope soon we can get together. Sean says you have been through a lot but you love deeply. I am sorry, if there is anything you wish to talk about or know, just ask. We have a plot of land down in Georgia and have a nice homestead. Maybe you and Sean can come visit.

We would love to meet in person. Sean is over the moon, with you. He writes to us a lot and all he talks about is you.

Hope this letter finds you both well.
Love,
Lauren Macguire

I please the letter down and walk out and find Sean speaking to Lenny. I wrap my arms around him and kiss his temple. He leans back to me and grabs my hand.

"Congratulations on the little one," Lenny said.

"Thanks Lenny," I said. "Sean your mother wrote to me."

"Dats good," he said. "What did she say?"

"She said they want us to come down to see them soon. They have a plot of land down in Georgia. Said you are over the moon for me," I said.

"As if yer didn't know," he said.

We talked and Sean read his letter. We were eating when I looked up and saw Arthur riding back to camp slumped over. I jumped up and Sean followed me. "We need help!" I yelled and kneeled beside my brothers beaten, and shot up body.

Dutch came over my boy. "It was a set up Dutch," Arthur said.

Swanson, Sean, Lenny and John helped move Arthur to his tent. I asked Miss Grimshaw what she needed. "Get me some water, and rags. Also get me Hosea," she said.

Hosea stepped forward. "I'm here," he said holding a bag.

I ran over to Pearson's wagon and grabbed the hot water. Pearson handed me a bag of rags. I rushed back over and stepped in the tent. "Here you go Miss Grimshaw," I said.

"Thank you now go," she said.

"I want to be here for him," I said. "Just tell me what to do and I'll do it."

"This ain't gonna be pretty," she informed me.

I knew how ugly things could get. "I've seen worse Miss Grimshaw," I informed her.

She nodded and went to work. Arthur was lucky the bullet went straight through his shoulder. He had tried to seal the wound but it was ugly. He was running a fever and I held his arm and Miss Grimshaw cleaned the gunshot wound out as best she can.
When she was done she handed me a wet cool cloth, this will help break the fever.

I wiped Arthur's head and laid my head beside him. "Come on brother you have to pull trough this. You're gonna be an uncle," I said.

"You are," he whispered.

"Yeah found out today. Sean is excited. Couldn't stop telling everyone we met," I said. "Do you think you can drink anything?"

"Water," he said.

I got up and walked over to Pearson's wagon and got Arthur some water. I walked back and raised his head a bit and held the cup raising it slightly so he could drink slowly. "Thanks," he said.