Final Selection (4)

'The reason I won... was because I learned to detect the scent of the opening thread. When I'm battling someone and I pick up a certain scent, I can see the thread. The thread is connected from my blade to my opponent's opening, growing taut the instant I see it. My blade is drawn to it with great force, and then I slash the opening.'

In the forest, Nezuko stands in front of the sliced boulder. Urokodaki walks toward her.

"Mr. Urokodaki." Nezuko said.

"I had no intention to send you to Final Selection. I didn't want to see children die. I was sure that you wouldn't be able to slice the boulder... but..." Mr. Urokodaki admitted.

He pat her on the head.

"Well done, my girl.

Nezuko, you're... a remarkable kid." He said to her.

Nezuko starts tearing up. He hugs her. 

"Make sure you come alive from Final Selection alive. Both your brother and I will be waiting here." He says.

Back at Urokodaki's hut, there's a plethora of food on a table spread out for Nezuko.

"Wow... what's the occasion? There's so much..." Nezuko marveled at the food in front of her.

"You've completed all of your training, so we're celebrating. Don't be shy. Eat up!" Urokodaki said.

"Thank you very much!" Nezuko thanks him.

Urokodaki offers a bowl to Nezuko, she takes it and eats it quickly.

'Nezuko... there's nothing more I can do for you. From here on out, you'll be going through such hardship and strife. Your training will seem like nothing in comparison. So for now, you should rest well without a care in the world.' Urokodaki thought.

Later in the night, Nezuko brushes her hair.

"Nezuko." Urokodaki says.

"Yes?" Nezuko replies.

"Did you enjoy that hot pot?" He asked her.

"Yes! I haven't had a feast in so long!" She said happily.

"A growing girl like you with a hearty appetite should get stronger the more she eats, as well grow bigger in size. But that goes for demons, too. Remember this. Basically, a demon is as strong as the number of humans it's devoured." Urokodaki pointed out.

"So, the more they eat, the stronger they get?" Nezuko asked, brushing out her hair.

"That's right. There are demons who gain strange power, become able to transform their bodies, and even use spells." Urokodaki says, taking something out of a cabinet.

"When your sense of smell becomes keener, you'll be able to tell how many humans a demon has devoured." Urokodaki said, handing Nezuko a Fox mask, taking the same shape of Makomo and Sabito's masks, but a different pattern.

The mask had something like a sun or bulletpoint in the corner of it, and circles where the mouth ends, and the eyes were red with circles inside of them, most of the mask's color was red and white.

Nezuko lays her hand on it, "Whats this?"

"It's called a 'warding mask'. I've charged it with a spell to protect you from harm." He explained.

"Warding mask..." Nezuko murmured.

In the morning, Nezuko prepares for Final Selection, she puts on a kimono with Urokodaki's haori pattern on it with a black undershirt to match it. Before she leaves, she goes to Tanjiro's bed.