Chapter 6: Do You Remember?

I'll Love You Forever: Chapter 6 — Do You Remember?

It's a cold, dark night.

Much darker than usual. Off in the distance, the dim lights of the city visibly shine upon the hill. Traversing through the dim streets would have been impossible if not for the occasional barely-functioning streetlight.

In the midst of night, a young man takes refuge upon a lone bench. He takes a deep, sharp breath, observing his breath condensing in the frigid air. He takes his cellphone out from his pocket whilst quickly looking over in the distant road in an impatient manner.

He scoffs, finally seeing the person following him arrive.

"D-Deku, wait up!"
The young girl struggles in her footing. She had been sluggishly following the young boy for who knows how long. Her breathing is rough and burdened, and it's clear that she had been fatigued from overexertion.

She practically falls down against the bench beside him, taking moments to catch her breath. Even though she was visibly exhausted, the boy only continues looking at his cellphone.

"Come on, we're almost there."
The boy says as he stands up from his seat.

"What? Can I at least catch my breath for a minute?"
The girl pleads.

He clicks his tongue.
"You can breathe when we're there. Come on, it's like five more minutes away."

She responds worriedly.
"What are we even doing here anyway? The doctors told us that I should be taking it easy since we're going to be expecting any time now!"

He struggles to give her an answer.
"We just... We just need to make sure we're okay."

She's understandably confused.
"'Okay?—' What does that even mean? And... why now after all this time? Why couldn't we have done this earlier while I wasn't in the third trimester?!"

He scoffs.
"Look, just-! Let's just get there, and try to have a good time, yeah?"

She's worried, panicking almost.
"How am I even supposed to focus on that? My stomach just keeps on cramping, a-and... Toshi has been kicking a lot lately! You know that the nearest train station from here is a ways away; what if... what if something bad were to happen?"

He puts his hands on her shoulders, and gives her a solid gaze.
"You're going to be fine... alright?"

She notices that even though he said that, his words were shaky. He thinks that she catches on, prompting him to avert his hands towards her necklace.

"You're a mess..."
The boy inches over, and adjusts the girl's accessories, looking downward from her face. As he ties it around her neck to the best of his ability, he takes multiple quick glances into her eyes.

She notices, giving him a shy smile during the moments they make eye contact. He continues fitting her dress' collar, wrapping his arms around her neck, moving closer towards her body. The two are practically hugging at this point, taking warmth in the presence of each others' bodies.

It's then that she just had a thought.
"Do you remember the night we became boyfriend and girlfriend?"

He smiles with sharp exhale from his nose.
"Oh, man..."

Fondly, she reminds herself.
"I was fixing your suit, just like you're doing with me."

He remembers... it was a happy memory.
"Yeah, if I recall, I almost said it right then and there, but then we got-"

They then both remember a ...not-so-happy part of that memory; even then, they both share a laugh in the uncanniness of it all.

He reminisces further.
"It was a night just like this, and it was raining, and..."