Chapter 7: No Going Back

I'll Love You Forever: Chapter 7 — No Going Back

The young man knocks on the door. He waits for a few moments without getting a response. There, he stands, burdened and unmoving, his head leaning against the door. He clasps his hand against his mouth, feeling his warm breath in an attempt to mask just how much he's shivering.

He's scared... but he swallows his breath before turning around to face the girl reluctantly following him, standing far away before the stairs.
"...It sounds quieter than usual, no?"

She doesn't respond. She merely turns her head to the side, her gaze wandering off.

He tries to follow up.
"It's, uh, been a long time coming, huh? I mean, it feels like forever since we've been... even though this place is like a second home."

Yet again, she doesn't seem to want to talk back.

The boy walks over to the glass windows, and tries to look inside, but upon seeing the interior... something clicks within his brain, reminding him of something. He backs off alarmed, not even taking in the sight for half a second.

He speaks, dismayed.
"I'm... I'm not sure we should go through with this."

"Oh, so you're having second thoughts NOW?"
The girl quickly retorts.

He slowly turns around, shocked.
"...What do you mean?

She bites her lip, before momentarily speaking her mind.
"S-So, I'm this dangerously close to *birthing our child,* yet you still keep on pushing and insisting that we go today, for some reason — now, you're getting cold feet, so we shouldn't go inside after traveling all this way?!"

He clicks his tongue.
"I didn't mean it like that-!"

She cuts him off.
"Do you know how much pain I'm in? I'd like to see YOU carry a baby in your stomach for nine months, and tell me how you feel!

Even then, I still put on this nice dress, and still decided to go to this nice get-together all because you— not me, YOU— wanted this."

He brushes her rant off.
"You're just going through a mood swing; I can tell."

Her eyes widen.
"Why, you insensitive-! You better go in there before I go off at you— and PLEASE don't let me; it's bad for the baby."

He scoffs at her remark.
"Look, I'd be glad to go in, but nobody is answering the freaking door!"

She scoffs right back.
"Well, I don't know— have you tried *ringing the doorbell?!*"

He realizes that's a fair point.
"Oh, erm..."

Slightly embarrassed, he pushes the button, ringing the doorbell. Afterwards, the two stand far apart in silence after their small quarrel. Neither of them know how to diffuse the situation, moreso because they both have a lot on their minds they want to speak out about.

And the girl starts first.

As she mutters...
"Why don't you start taking responsibility and commit to something for once..."

She had whispered that to herself, but the boy's eyes widen, and his head whips back almost immediately.

"...What the hell is THAT supposed to mean?!"

The girl falls silent, not realizing what she had just said was loud enough for him to hear it. Those words seem to have vivified the boy as he slowly walks down the stairs towards the girl.

Scared at his expression, the girl meekly looks down towards the ground, unable to look at him in the face as he storms closer...

He speaks, stoic and firm.
"Are you accusing me of something...?"