𝙁𝙊𝙍𝙏𝙔

There was a moment of calm.

After our jet hit the barricade and we went skidding across the deck.

It was like that moment right after a hurricane, when everything goes quiet and you step outside to see the sun peaking through the clouds.

Everything was quiet.

And it scared me.

Or maybe it was the thought that all I wanted to do was hug Bradley Bradshaw and never let go again.

"You good?" I called back, my voice hoarse.

"Yeah, I'm good. We're good, Lilah."

I sucked in a deep breath and started laughing because the first time in a long time, I actually believed him.

The canopy started to open, and the cheering hit me first. The people around us were blurry, my heart pumping blood much too fast for me to focus on anything, but it didn't stop the roar.

Beside me, Bradley was hunched over the side with his helmet in his hand. He was smiling and nothing could stop the sparkle in his green eyes that, 20 minutes ago, I was so sure I would never see again.

I threw my helmet into the crowd and took it all in.

Everyone was there.

And everyone was cheering.

Bradley jumped out of the plane, landing right next to Hondo.

"You comin', Captain?" he shouted over the crowd.

I nodded, biting my lip to hid my grimace as I tumbled into his arm. He set me gently on the ground, wrapping his arm around my waist. I doubted he was never going to let me out of his sight for a long time.

Hondo embraced me first, tousling my hair like a child. He took Bradley's shoulder and shook it, tears welling up his eyes eyes. There was nothing else to be said as Bradley helped me through the crowd.

We'd barely made it halfway throw before I was propelled out of his arms. I stumbled back a few steps, knocking into another person who shook my hand.

Note to anyone who thinks it's okay to almost die twice on Natasha Trace: Be prepared for the furry that comes with it.

"You bitch, you horrible, heinous, sick whore!" she screamed at me, tears streaming down her face. She shoved me in my shoulder and i was thankful she remembered I needed surgery on the other one. "How could you do something stupid like that and not tell me! You bitch!"

I laughed, though nothing was funny and I was sure I was about to get slapped. "Will a sorry suffice?"

"No," Nat snapped, but the anger seemed to dissolve the longer she started at me. "Just come over here and give me a hug."

I didn't waste a second flinging my arms around her, and I squeezed her as tightly as dared with the pain course through my arm. Natasha wrapped an arm around me and buried her face into my neck.

"Please stop dying on me," Natasha whispered into my matted hair, tears running down her rosy checks. "It takes a piece of me with you every time."

"Never again," I promised, and I meant it. "No more stupid shit, no more near-death experiences, I swear it."

Natasha released me, taking a step back before once again ending up in someone's arm. Bradley scooped her up and it felt too personal too keep watching.

Fanboy was next. It was a simple, tight hug. Tears were shed, but this wasn't a sadness for him.

Bob was next, a smile so bright it lit up everything. The world seemed much more clear as I kissed him lightly on the cheek.