Chapter 29

"Ready BJ?" I called out to him from my room
"Almost! Wait for me downstairs, babes!"

The week went by at a snail's pase but it's finally Friday and finally time to go on my undead date.

I didn't dress up too much, just a tshirt, jeans, a beanie, and a pair of converse. I told Beetlejuice to not worry about his appearance too much but he didn't listen to me and has been in the bathroom for half an hour.

Nonetheless, I listened to him and went downstairs to sit on the couch and play games on my phone.

After about 5 minutes I heard steps coming downstairs and I glanced up.
Beetlejuice was wearing his striped suit and typical dress shoes but his suit looked cleaner along with his shoes looking shinier. He shaved his stubble and his hair was surprisingly tame compared to it's usual rattiness. He really does clean up nice.

"Damn BJ. Looking good"

"Only the best for you babes"
He kissed me

"Let's hit the road" I took his hand in mine and we began walking down the street together. I wanted BJ to snap his fingers and teleport us but he said walking was more romantic and it wasn't a big deal since the carnival was only a few blocks away so,  I let him win.

The whole theme of this carnival was 'early Hallow's Eve' which basically meant 'dress spooky in September'. I guess it was too expensive to run this thing in October. Anyway, Fabio was right, Beetlejuice fit in perfectly with the zombies and bloody clowns that scattered the fair grounds, despite the fact he looks like an old-timey pimp.

A crazed clown ran up to us in oversized shoes and began cackling with a fake chainsaw in his hands.
"Ugh. You're an ugly bastard" Beetlejuice scoffed and I flashed him the death stare.

"BJ! Stop it!" I elbowed him

"What? Look at this guy!" He said as if the underpaid carnival worker wasn't there

"Fuck you, man!" the clown flipped us off and stomped away defeated.

I personally have never liked clowns much but Beetlejuice didn't have to be a dick about it; the dude just works here for Christs sake!

Whilst scolding BJ I noticed that his eyes were looking right past me.
"The hell are you-" I turned around to see a balloon pop carnival game where the prizes consisted of large multicolored gorillas.
"Hey babe. I know you're super mad at me but what if I win you a monkey"

I paused, a smile slowly forming on my face "Y'know I think that could work"
Beetlejuice took my hand and dragged me to the game booth run by a teenager covered in fake blood and holding a plastic chainsaw. They really love chainsaws here, I guess.

The worker sighed "Hello folks. Do you dare to play my" there was a dramatic pause as the bloody carnie pressed a button on the chainsaw, making it revv. "GAME??" their voice immediately hit a higher pitch and they began cackling, totally freaking me out.

Beetlejuice was unphased by this and just smiled "Yes, please! How much?"
The bloody teen immediately stopped and stared at him blankly before sighing once more and placing their chainsaw on the booth table. "3 bucks for 5 darts. You gotta pop all 8 balloons to get a monkey"

"All 8?" I asked "but we only have 5 darts."
"Don't hate me, I just work here, but if you want a monkey you gotta play by my rules" they smirked, leaning on the booth.

BJ slammed $3 on the table and as he opened his hand, a centipede slinked away from the money.
"Whoops. Sorry about that" he pushed it off the table.
The fair worker eyed him with confusion but ultimately handed him 5 darts.

I already knew Beetlejuice was going to cheat, how? I'm not sure. But a devilish grin appeared on his face as he took one dart in his hand, aimed it, and hit the middle balloon, also simultaneously popping the other 7 at the same time. The worker looked at us in shock before asking "W-which color monkey do you want?"

I looked at all the gorillas before I decided on a black one with a green bowtie "that one please!" Beetlejuice and I walked away from the stand laughing. He really is the ghost with the most.