Side Story 08

The maid shrugged her shoulders as my gaze reached.

Even so, the small shoulders looked smaller like that.

Bessie's not that small.

'They look so alike.'

Wouldn't Bessie look exactly like that if she were a dozen years younger than she is now?

I'll believe it even if she is Bessie's hidden sister. I sighed deeply and said with my eyes closed.

"Look up, Lady. There's nothing more to apologize for. I'll just pretend I didn't get the letter."

"Duchess."

It's not because of that a maid named Becky resembles Betsy that I give in this way.

I should proceed with the letter burning ceremony that I couldn't give her when I get back. Bessie's gonna love it.

"Thank you very much for your compassion, Duchess."

"I, I, too... very grateful."

"You should go and reflect on yourself."

"......yes, I'm sorry."

The maid hesitated, bowed her head and left the seat.

Alice followed the maid who was distracted and soon headed for me.

Alice bowed her upper body again and again.

"Thank you very much. She was a very...... dear child. She looks like that, but she's usually smart. She had been working here for a long time."

Normally, it would have been a story that I wouldn't be interested in, but her face resembling Bessie was the source of the fire.

"You must be deeply affectionate to her."

"She's just like another family member. Doesn't the Duchess have that kind of person?"

"Yes, there is. She's really like family."

"That's why you understood. Thank you so much again. Oh, it's not like this here, but if you don't mind, can I offer you a cup of tea as a token of apology and reward?"

When I came to my senses, I was sitting at a backyard table where tea time was going on with Alice.

'Um......'

Well, yeah, I'm here for tea time in the first place. I've achieved the desired goal.

The tea is delicious.

"It's an honour to meet you, Duchess, I really wanted to meet you separately."

"That's right, that's right. It's much more beautiful to see you up close than I've ever seen you from afar."

Several people were already sitting around the tea time table deep inside the backyard.

What was surprising was that there were quite a few young ladies as well as the wives.

'I thought they were avoiding Alice.....'

I recalled the atmosphere of the past, which was formed almost around a lady at the party.

Obviously, if something happens with Alice, the wife's side will be more hurt than the young one.

Of course, it's just the case.

'I think it was some public opinion that I saw at the party.'

I looked up at Alice, the host of this tea time party.

She lifted a teacup and savoured the scent, and when her eyes met with me, she smiled brightly and cleanly. Like the pure white dress, Alice wore today.