Chapter One

Dragon riding was one of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen favorite things to do. She could rarely go a day without visiting the dragon she had bonded with at the young age of seven, Syrax. She closed her eyes feeling relaxed as the gold dragon flew through the skies above and around King's Landing. The cool air bit at her cheeks causing a shiver to roll up her spine. The wind swept through her hair.

At the moment only Valaena and Rhaenyra occupied the sky. With Rhaenyra on the back of her dragon, Syrax, the two flew a short distance away from one another. It wasn't uncommon for the residents in King's Landing to see the Princess and Dragon Shifter flying.

Valaena was a monstrously large dragon. Some say she's as big as Vhagar. She brought enough terror to make even a man grown quiver at the sight of her. She was far too large for the dragon pit.

Her scales were black making her almost impossible to see flying at night. Valaena was beautiful and deadly all in one. Her eyes too were startling. A Bright crimson that felt as if they looked into your very soul. Unsettling. That's what the Keepers would call her on the rare occasion that any of them were to go near the dragon.

The descent to the ground took little to no time and Rhaenyra was swift as she slid from her saddle and landed carefully on her feet. Rhaenyra grabbed the black robe she'd brought for Valaena as she shifted from her dragon form.

"Welcome back, Princess, Lady Valaena. I trust your ride was pleasant." Ser Harold greeted them.

"Try not to look so relieved, Ser." Rhaenyra jokes, making Valaena laugh.

"I am relieved, every time that golden beast brings you back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike."

"She's always safe when I'm with her. Besides, if something were to happen to the Princess on your watch, I would burn you not put your head on a spike."

Rhaenyra laughed before Alicent exited the carriage, "Syrax is growing quickly. She'll soon be as large as Caraxas."

"That's almost enough to saddle two." Rhaenyra suggested, smirking.

"I believe I'm quite content as a spectator, thank you." Valaena laughs as her and Rhaenyra follow Alicent inside the carriage.

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

"So, I said to him, 'Well, I believe you might be looking up the wrong end.'" King Viserys joked wearing a bright smile as he let out a loud laugh, before turning his attention to the orange in front of him.

Valaena, who stood to the side of Viserys watched as the other men in the Small Council meeting beside Lord Corlys laughed, most of them only laughing because they were eager to please their King.

"My lords," She hears Lord Corlys say with a tone nearing disappointment. "The growing alliance among the Free cities had taken to styling itself 'The Triarchy.'" He stood from his seat and began to roll out a map across the table, "They have massed on Bloodstone and are presently ridding the Stepstones of its pirate infestation," he said as he began to indicate different locations on the map.

"Well, that sounds suspiciously like good news, Lord Corlys," Viserys presumed looking to his Small Council member. But Valaena knew better.

"A man called Craghas Drahar, he names himself the prince-admiral of this Triarchy. They call him the Crab Feeder," Corlys then told, as many members glanced at the chamber door upon hearing it creaks open, "due to his inventive methods of punishing his enemies." Rhaenyra entered the rooms at a quick pace as she walked towards her father.