Chapter Twenty Seven

One hundred sixty leagues to the north, other dragons soared above the Trident, where Prince Daemon Targaryen and the small brown girl called Nettles were hunting Aemond One-Eye without success. Instead, Prince Aemond struck at Stonyhead, in the foothills of the Mountains of the Moon, always vanishing back into the sky before the hunters could arrive. Vhagar never lingered, nor did the survivors agree on which way the dragon had flown.

On the western shore of Blackwater Bay, word of battle and betrayal at Thumbleton had reached King's Landing. It is said the Dowager Queen Alicent laughed when she heard. "All they have sowed, now shall they reap," she promised. On the Iron Throne, Queen Rhaenyra grew pale and faint, and ordered the city gates closed and barred; henceforth, no one was to be allowed to enter or leave King's Landing. "I will have no turncloaks stealing into my city to open my gates to rebels," she proclaimed. Lord Ormund's host could be outside their walls by the morrow or the day after; the betrayers, dragon-borne, could arrive even sooner than that.

This prospect excited Prince Joffrey. "Let them come," the boy announced, flush with the arrogance of youth and eager to avenge his fallen brothers. "I will meet them on Tyraxes." Such talk alarmed his mother. "You will not," she declared. "You are too young for battle." Even so, she allowed the boy to remain as the black council discussed how best to deal with the approaching foe.

Seven dragons remained in King's Landing, but only one within the walls of the Red Keep and one not bound by chains: the queen's own she-dragon, Syrax, and the Lady Dracarys's dragon, Cannibal.

The other dragons were kept in the Dragonpit. Caraxes, Verminthor, Silverwing, and Sheepstealer had made their lairs there before flying off to battle. Four dragons remained: Prince Joffrey's Tyraxes, the young Morghul and Shrykos, bound to Princess Jaehaera and her twin, the late Prince Jaehaerys... and Dreamfyre, beloved of Queen Helaena.

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

Long leagues to the north, in a castle overlooking the Bay of Crabs, another lord found himself sliding down a sword's edge as well. From King's Landing came a raven bearing the queen's message to Manfryd Mooton, Lord of Maidenpool: he was to deliver her the head of the bastard girl Nettles, who had been judged guilty of high treason. "No harm is to be done to my lord husband, Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, I have sent Lady Valaena Valar, to see him home safely." Her Grace commanded.

When his lordship read the queen's letter, he was so shaken that he lost his voice. Nor did it return to him until he had drunk three cups of wine. Thereupon Lord Mooton sent for the captain of his guard, his brother, and his champion, Ser Florian Greysteel. He bade his maester to remain as well. When all had assembled, he read to them the letter and asked them for their counsel.

"This thing is easily done," said the captain of his guard. "The prince sleeps beside her, but he has grown old and so has the Dragon Whore, Valaena Valar. When she arrives three men should be enough to subdue her should she try to interfere, but I will take six to be certain.

"Six men or sixty, she is still Valaena Valar, bearing a child does not change her swordsmanship." Lord Mooton's brother objected. "As for Daemon, a sleeping draught in his evening wine would be the wiser course. Let him wake to Nettles dead."

What was said after that is unknown. All we know is that the maester, a young man of two-and-twenty, found Prince Daemon and the girl Nettles at their supper that night, and showed them the queen's letter. Weary after a long day of fruitless flight, they were sharing a simple meal of boiled beef and beats when he entered, talking softly with each other. The prince greeted him politely, but when he read the letter the joy went from his eyes, and a sadness descended upon him, like a weight too heavy to be borne.