Chapter Two

The sound of waves crashing against the jagged rocks could be heard as the large groups stood on the outskirts of Kings Landing. They stood before two pyres that laid Queen Aemma and Prince Baelon. Valaena waited for the command as she stood in her dragon form on the hill in front of the pyres.

Valaena had lit the pyre of many fallen Targaryen's in her life but this one was the hardest.

A somber silence ran over the crowd as Rhaenyra took a step forward, turning to her father pleading for him to look at her.

She struggled to say the words, a look of determination crossed her face and she looked to Valaena.

"Dracarys."

Valaena stepped forward, leaning her head back before lighting the pyres.

Valaena couldn't watch them burn. Watch sweet Aemma burn. Before Rhaenyra, Aemma was the only female Valaena was close to. Long before she became her Queen, they were friends, like sisters.

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

It was only minutes into the meeting when Valaena entered, all members of the Small Council turned their attention to her as she made her way to Viserys with a look of concern on his face.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, Your Grace, but I have some troubling news. Last night... Prince Daemon bought out one of the pleasure houses on the Street of Silk to entertain officers of the City Watch and other friends of his."

Viserys wondered why this information was relevant but nodded for Valaena to continue.

"He toasted Prince Baelon, Styling him... 'The Heir for a Day.'"

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

"You cut the image of the Conqueror brother," Daemon told Viserys as he entered the throne room.

"Did you say it?" Viserys asked.

"I don't know what you mean."

"You will address King Viserys as your grace or else I'll cut out your tongue." Valaena snapped from the foot of the dais.

"The heir for a day? Did you say it?"

"We must all mourn in our own way, your grace." Daemon answered his brother.

"My family has just been destroyed, but instead of being by my side or Rhaenyra's, you chose to celebrate your own rise! Laughing with your whores and lickspittles! You have no allies at court but me, I have only defended you, and in everything I did you've thrown back in my face!"

"You only tried to send me away!" Daemon argued. "To the Vale, to the City Watch. Anywhere but by your side, ten years you've been king, and not once have you asked me to be your hand."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because I'm your brother and the blood of the dragon runs thick."

"Then why do you cut me so deep?"

"I only spoken the truth; I see Otto Hightower for what he is."

"An unwavering and loyal Hand?"

"A cunt." Daemon corrected. "A second son who stands to inherit nothing he doesn't seize for himself."

"Otto Hightower is a more honorable man than you could ever be."

"He doesn't protect you, I would."

"From what?"

"Yourself. You're weak... Viserys. And those council leeches know that they all prey on you for their own ends."

Viserys was quiet for a moment before he sighed.

"I have decided to name a new heir."

"I'm your heir."

"Not anymore, you are to return to Runestone and your lady wife at once, and you are to do so without quarrel by order of your king."

Daemon tried to approach Viserys but he was blocked by the guards and a line of fire from Valaena. He hadn't seen that look in her eyes since he told her he was to be married.

"Your grace." Daemon said, bowing.

Then he took his leave.

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

"The Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen."

Hundreds of Lords and Ladies turned towards the throne room doors as Rhaenyra walked into the throne room, Valaena trailing behind her.

Rhaenyra came to a stop at the end of the dais. Valaena continued and stood by the right of the dais.

Each Lord was called to swear fealty to the Princess Rhaenyra.

Until it was time for Valaena.

She walked to the front of the dais and drew her sword and kneeled, placing the sword at Rhaenyra's feet. "I Valaena Valar of the House of the Dragon. Swear to be faithful to King Viserys and his named her, the Princess Rhaenyra. I give you my sword, my council, and my heart. I swear this by the old gods and the new." Valaena looked up at Rhaenyra and smiled before grabbing a necklace from Maester Mellos.

Valaena took a step forward and placed the necklace that represented each of the great houses of Westeros around her neck.

After Valaena took her spot to the right of her, Rhaenyra turned to face her father. Viserys stood from his throne. "I Viserys Targaryn, First of his name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, do hereby name Rhaenyra Targaryen, Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Iron Throne."