Chapter Fifteen

A great sense of dread fills her as she wakes to hushed whispers. She opens her eyes to see Aemonds side of the bed vacant.

"Will it harm her?"

"No, it will only ensure that she does not do something she will regret."

She sits up and looks to the chamber door to see Aemond closing it.

Aemond stiffens slightly when he sees her awake, holding his arms behind his back.

"What is wrong?" She asks, getting up and walking towards him.

"Nothing." He mumbles, handing her a glass of tea.

She takes it, drinking it as they both get ready for the day.

Sometime later there is a knock on their chamber door. Alicents handmaiden, Tayla enters, bowing.

"Her Grace requests your presents, Lady Valaena."

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

They pass the silent sisters as Valaena follows the handmaiden to Viserys chambers, hoping that it isn't true.

When she enters, she immediately sees his body and she freezes, tears filling her eyes.

Alicent clutches her handkerchief tighter. "He passed in the night." She mumbles, her eyes downcast.

Valaena snaps out of her trance and comes closer to Alicent.

"After you left last night... before he-" Alicent looks at her then, a sense of dread in her eyes. "He told me he wished for Aegon to be king."

Valaena scoffs, turning to Viserys body that had been prepared by the silent sisters.

"It is the truth. Uttered with his own lips. His last words to me and I was the only one to hear it. And now he's dead." Alicent comes to stand next to Valaena. "He called Aegon 'the prince that was promised' and that he would unite the realm against the cold... and the dark."

Valaena turns sharpley, shaking her head. "He wouldn't have told you about the dream." She mumbled, turning to walk towards the balcony.

"So, you know what he meant?"

Valaena wishes she could tell Alicent, wishes that she could tell her that Viserys was speaking of a different Aegon and not her son.

Then she remembers the vow she made to Viserys, that she would never speak of it to anyone except himself and his named heir. A vow that she was bound not to break because she was the Dragon Shifter.

"No." she says softly.

"You meant a great deal to him." Alicent says, holding Viserys crown.

Valaena looks at it for a moment and remembers the day it was first placed on his head. Feeling drained, she grabs the crown and gently places it on Viserys body, her head hung low.

Valaena dedicated years of her life to Viserys, the same years Viserys had given for the Realm. And now it was time to let him go.

"Where is he?"

Alicent comes to stand next to her. "We do not know."

⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟⃟

"Where is Aegon?" Alicent asks Helaena as soon as they enter the chambers.

"N-Not here." She says softly.