Chapter Three

"Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. But he was ill for some time. He passed in peace, I hope." Viserys says as Rhaenyra makes her rounds filling the cups of the Small Council members.

"Yes, Your Grace. He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters. The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold, would like to make haste in finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the Kingsguard." Maester Mellos said.

"Your Grace. My Lords. The Kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven." Ser Harrold says, turning toward Otto. "With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court." Otto nods his head in agreement. "All have passed fair trials."

The doors to the Small Council room burst open, revealing an angered Corlys Velayron. All heads turned towards Corlys as he stormed into the room.

"Four ships have now been lost. The last one was flying my banner. The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you sit here and dither about court business." Corlys fumed as his tone turned accusing and he turned to the members of Small Council.

Otto looked merely annoyed by the interruption and late arrival. "If you've something to discuss, Lord Corlys-"

"I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men." He demanded.

"The crown will compensate you for your ship and crew and make an offering to the men's families."

"I don't want compensation. I want to seize the Stepstones by force and burn out this Crabfeeder." He declared.

"I am not prepared to start a war with the Free Cities." Viserys said.

"These pirates are not the Free Cities." Corlys hisses.

"Who do you think provides them with their ships and tender?"

"In all of its history, my lord, the Seven Kingdoms have never entered open war with the Free Cities. Were that to happen, the losses would be incalculable." Lyman Beesbury said.

Corlys approached the man slowly, "What reason does the Crabfeeder have to fear us? The King's own brother has been allowed to seize Dragonstone and fortify it with an army of his Gold Cloaks. Daemon has squatted there for over half a year without even a protest from the crown."

"I'll caution you, Lord Corlys, a seat at the King's table does not make you his equal." Corlys looked irritated by the Hand of the King's words.

"I have acted, Corlys. I've sent envoys to Pentos and Volantis to see if we might find common cause. Ships and men are at the ready. The Stepstones will be settled in time." Viserys interrupted.

"You have dragon rider's, father." Rhaenyra said, turning around from her place at the wine table, all members turning towards her. "Send us." Nodding her head toward Valaena.

"It isn't that simple, Rhaenyra."

"It would be a show of force."

"At least the Princess has a plan." Lord Corlys said smugly.

Rhaenyra sighed, "I only meant that we should at least-"

Otto cut her off, "Perhaps, there's some better use of the princesses' talents, Your Grace."

Viserys turned to the Lord Commander, "Why don't you take the princess to see about the new Kingsguard posting Lord Commander?"

"A fine idea, Your Grace."

"This knight will protect you as well. You should choose."

Rhaenyra scoffed as she looked at her father. Her eyes surveyed the room for a moment earning her a look of sympathy from Valaena before she left the room. The doors closed loudly behind her.