Chapter Twenty Five

After the birth of his silver-haired son, Prince Vaelen Targaryen, a small boy who had his mother's sapphire like eyes, Prince Aemond and Ser Criston decided to part ways. Cole would take command of their host and lead them south to join Ormund Hightower and Prince Daeron, but the Prince Regent would not accompany them. Instead, he meant to fight his own war, raining fire on the traitors from the air. Soon or late, "the bitch queen" would send a dragon or two to stop him, and Vhagar would destroy them. "She dare not send all her dragons," Aemond insisted. "That would leave King's Landing naked and vulnerable. Nor will she risk Syrax, or that last sweet son of hers."

Valaena also did not want to risk another one of her sons, insisting that Vaelen be sent to the South so he might be better protected, Ser Rickard Thorne is the knight who took the newborn trained and grew up with Lady Valaena. "War is no place for a child," she said to her husband, unaware that their daughter, Princess Aemma Targaryen, age six, had flown to war on Silverwing. Many thought the Princess Aemma Targaryen to be a sweet and innocent girl... not knowing that like her mother and siblings, she possessed the power of the dragon.

As per the marriage pact stating that after Valaena barred him two heirs, she demanded their marriage would be annulled. However, Aemond was now Prince Regent and refused such demands. Septon Eustace tells us that every flame lit in Harrenhal burned brighter as Lady Valaena and Prince Aemond argued that night.

"You are sworn to me now!" Aemond yelled, desperately, the ache in his chest almost unbearable now.

"Rhaenyra sits the Iron Throne now... I am bound to her." Her voice was cold as Aemond realized what she intended. "Despite everything you have done... I have done my duty, now let me go, Aemond. If you ever cared for me, you'll let me go."

Tears filled the prince's eye as he kneeled in front of Valaena, clutching her skirts. "Please, Valaena... don't do this. I never meant for this."

Should I have believed him this time? She thought to herself, looking up at the ceiling, trying to will her tears away. Should I forgive him for poisoning me? Perhaps. But in the end... She could not. Not when he was the reason why so many were dead. Why Jaehaerys was dead.

"I can't live like this anymore, issa jorrāelagon." Aemond sobs into the silk of her dress, his arms tightening around her, and she hums softly.

"Just pretend," she murmurs. "That's what I do. We don't get a happy ending, not anymore. You made sure of that."

Dread sets in now, his gut twisting around his muscles and tendons, and he wishes it would stop his heart.

"Choices have consequences."

Valaena reaches down and gently untangles him from her skirts, leaving the Kinslayer kneeled down on the floor, alone, sobbing at the loss of his mate.

And thus did the Kingmaker, Kinslayer, and the Dragon Shifter part, each to their own fate, whilst at the Red Keep Queen Rhaenyra Targaryen set about rewarding her friends and inflicting savage punishments on those who had served her half-brother.

Huge rewards were posted for information leading to the capture of the "the usurper styling himself Aegon II"; his daughter, Jaehaera; the "false knights" Willis Fell and Rickard Thorne; and Larys Strong the Clubfoot. When that failed to produce the desired result, Her Grace sent forth hunting parties of "knights inquisitor" to seek after the "traitors and villains" who had escaped her, and punish any man found to have assisted them.

Queen Alicent was fettered at wrist and ankle with golden chains, though her stepdaughter spared her life "for the sake of our father, who loved you once." Her own father was less fortunate. Just as he had predicted, Ser Otto Hightower, who had served three kings as Hand, was the first traitor to be beheaded. Lady Viserra had been the one to do it. "You have been a thorn in my mother's side all these years... but now that will be no more." She unsheathed her sword. "In the name of Rhaenyra of the House Targaryen, the First of her Name, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, by the word of Viserra Strong of House Valar, Lady of Winterfell and Wardeness of the North. Mistress of War and loyal servant, I sentence you to die."
Otto looked up at her, a smirk coming over his features. "Surely you must know how I convinced him to take the throne, Viserra. You are his weakness after all." Viserra hesitated for a moment before killing him with a swift and mighty blow.