Chapter Thirty One

The moon would wax and wane and wax again before Aegon II took his leave of Dragonstone.

Between him and King's Landing lay the isle of Driftmark, the whole breadth of Blackwater Bay, and scores of prowling Velaryon warships. Nor did His Grace wish to sail to King's Landing.

In the days following his half-sister's death, the king still clung to the hope that Sunfyre might recover strength to fly again. Instead, the dragon only seemed to weaken further, and soon the wounds in his neck began to stink. Even the smoke he exhaled has a foul smell to it, and towards the end he would no longer eat.

On the ninth day of the twelfth moon of 130 AC, the magnificent golden dragon that had been King Aegon's glory died in the outer yard of Dragonstone where he had fallen. Barely any remains were left of the dragon however, making it unknown whether the dragon died of its wounds or because of Cannibal.

His Grace wept and gave orders that his cousin Lady Baela be brought up from the dungeons and put to death. Only when her head was on the block did he repent, when Viserra reminded him that the girl's mother had been a Velaryon, the Sea Snake's own daughter. Another raven took wing for Driftmark, this time with a threat; unless Alyn of Hull presented himself within a fortnight to do homage to his rightful liege; his cousin the Lady Baela would lose her head.

On the western shores of Blackwater Bay, meanwhile, the Moon of the Three Kings came to a sudden end when an army appeared outside the walls of King's Landing. Lord Borros found the city wall unmanned, the gates undefended, the streets and squares empty save for corpses. As he climbed Aegon's High Hill with his banner-bearer and household shields, he saw the ragged banners of the squire Trystane hauled down from the gatehouse battlements, and the golden dragon banner of King Aegon II raised in their stead. Queen Alicent herself emerged from the Red Keep bidding him welcome, with Ser Perkin the Flea beside her.

"Where is the pretender?" Lord Borros askes, as he dismounted in the outer ward. "Taken and in chains," replied Ser Perkin.

Seasoned by countless border clashes with the Dornish and his recent victorious campaign against a new Vulture King, Lord Borros Baratheon wasted no time in restoring order to King's Landing.

Thus, did peace return to King's Landing, after a fashion.

"Our true king, Aegon, Second of His Name," Queen Alicent proclaimed in the name of her son, a curfew, making it unlawful to be on the city streets after dark.

In the waning days of 130 AC, King Aegon II returned at last to King's Landing, accompanied by Ser Marston Waters, Ser Alfred Broome, the Two Toms, Lady Baela Targaryen, Princess Aemma Targaryen, Prince Aegon Targaryen, and Lady Viserra Stark.

Escorted by twelve Velaryon war galleys, they sailed upon a battered old trading cog named Mouse, owned and captained by Marilda of Hull.

The king's return was far from triumphant. Still only able to walk a short distance, His Grace was brought through the River Gate in a closed litter and carried up Aegon's High Hill to the Red Keep through a silent city, pasted deserted streets, abandoned homes, and looted shops.

The steep, narrow steps of the Iron Throne proved impossible for him as well; henceforth the restored king must hold court from a carved, cushioned wooden seat at the base of the true throne, with a blanket across his twisted, shattered leg.

Though in great pain, the king did not retreat to his bedchambers again, nor avail himself of dreamwine or milk of the poppy, but immediately set to pronouncing judgment upon the three "dayfly kings" who had ruled King's Landing during the Moon of Madness.

On the last day of the year, two hundred forty-one "barefoot lambs," the Shepherd's most fervid and devoted followers, were covered with pitch and chained to poles along the broad cobbled thoroughfare that ran eastward from Cobbler's Square up to the Dragonpit.