Prologue

Prologue

"I'm sorry Mr. Jonas, this is for your own good" I nodded, too deep in shock to really comprehend what this tall, burly man was saying. 

Who would ever want to murder me and why? I have done nothing wrong!

I felt arms grip my shoulders from behind and I turned around, almost in a robotic manner. 

My family was standing before me, tears sparkled in my parents brown eyes and sadness shone on my brothers unblinking gazes. 

It is real. This is really happening, I thought to myself.

I looked down at Frankie; my younger brother stood almost two feet shorter in front of me. He was biting his lips nervously, trying to stop himself to giving freedom to the tears threatening to fall upon his cheeks. I forced myself to smile and leaned down to give him a quick hug, which I ended and ruffled his hair, making it a mess.

I then looked at my two older brothers, Joe and Kevin; they were both trying to be strong, not wanting to make this anymore difficult for me than it already was. After all, it was me who had to leave them behind. 

It was I, who was in "mortal danger" and needed to be sent into the Witness Protection Program. I could not wrap my head around that idea; surely this was all some sick joke, this only happened in movies.

I understood the necessity of my sudden departure. The Agency didn't want to take "chances" on someone finding and hurting me; they had to take me to a safe place, on a secret location. Not even my family could know where I was being taken. All I knew was that I was taken to a place far away from my family so no harm could come to them for their relation to me. That was the only thing about this whole mess that actually made sense. I wouldn't want ill to come to my loved ones, not under any circumstances!

My parents stared at me, distress and hopelessness in their body postures. I could not force myself to reach out to them, hug them... I couldn't move at all so I did the only thing I could do; I peered straight into their eyes and mouthed three simple words, ones I had often told them as soon as speaking came natural to me, "I love you".

That was all I had time to do before hands grabbed and pushed me towards the waiting, black helicopter. 

I watched as the flying vehicle lifted itself from the building's roof, my heart breaking at the fading forms of my family.

I watched as I was taken far away from my loved ones; the only people I cared for in this world.