Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Blake's POV

I did go to Liz father's room to get some sleep but as it turned out, I didn't shut an eye. The light slipping inside the room through the thin layer of curtains prevented me from getting any sleep. I turned and turned for over an hour until I gave up. I let out a frustrated breath while I went back to my last conversation with Liz.

Why did I ever volunteer to continue the assignment for her? I mean, okay, yeah, the reason is simple, Liz couldn't do it because she was getting too attached to Nick and I would hate to see her hurting. She was really upset, and I must admit: that is one of my biggest weaknesses. I'll clarify that seeing any girl upset drives me crazy, but it's about ten times worse when the girl happens to be Liz.

I stared up at the ceiling, deep in thought.

How the hell am I going to get close to Nick though? I don't trust him, and he clearly doesn't trust me. That hardly gives space for progress and let alone the idea of a "friendship" blossoming between us two. There is way too much tension in a room when both of us happen to be in it; I'm sure Nick has felt this too.

Ugh, this is going to be nearly impossible!

I know the real reason where this frustration is coming from; Liz developing feelings for Nick, that I wished she felt for me. But the fact that I knew that the frustration was pointless, I couldn't shake it.

Anyone can judge me. They can tell me I need to get over it and to move on. But let's be honest, if someone tells me that, I would only listen to them if I knew for a fact that they once loved someone with their whole being, and when they realized they had no chance, they let go. Very few people really do let go of an unrequited love. Know why? Because it's human instinct to want what they can't have. It's human nature to hope to be able to change someone's mind. We as imperfect creatures tend to believe we have the ability to convince others what we think as true ourselves; that we are the better option, though that is hardly ever the case- who really knows?

With this realization fresh in my mind, I decided that was enough thinking for now. Thinking about all this stuff would not get the assignment done. I just need to become Nick's friend, pull important information out of him and solve this case so he can go home and finally have things go back to normal. That was easier said than done huh?

A while later I walked downstairs and made my way to the kitchen where I found both Nick and Liz having breakfast.

"Well, good morning people" I greeted cheerily. Both of them jumped, startled at my sudden appearance.

I try to not think about the fact that Liz was spending time with Nick when we had agreed on her letting me do that so she could keep her distance from him.

"Morning" they both replied.

"What's for breakfast?" I ask to no one in particular while I checked around.

"I made scrambled eggs and toasts" Liz told me. I turned around to face her and smiled.

"Thanks, babe" she grinned and shrugged lazily at me.

"It's nothing, gotta feed my guests" she joked.

"Yeah, 'cause I can totally be considered a guest after all this time" I said sarcastically. Liz laughed and stuck her tongue out at me. I did the same back at her. We could be pretty childish when we wanted to be, hence why we have been best friends for so long.

Nick's POV

They both were so comfortable around each other, and honeslty I was kind of jealous of their relationship. Half of the time I had no idea what Liz was thinking, but Blake? He knew her like the palm of his hand, he read her so well that it was kind of incredible; not that I would ever admit that outloud. Ever.

I watched as they joked around each other, enjoying their friendly banter almost forgetting my presence. Or at least that's what I originally thought.

"So Nick, you doing alright? Did you get through the concussion already?" I was taken aback by Blake's question, it literally took me about ten seconds to answer because I was so surprised. We barely do small talk. There is an unspoken rivalry between the two because of Liz. Why? I really don't know. It was just awkward everytime we're both in the same room and that's how I figured something was going on. I honestly thought he hated my guts.

"Yeah, I guess I did. Haven't been feeling the dizziness lately" I replied slowly. Blake nodded like if he were very interested in what I was saying. I frowned.

"I'm gonna go and take a shower" Liz announced.

I eyed her steadily and when she finally noticed she winked at me. I smiled which resulted on a cute blush to settle on her cheeks before she walked past me and left the room.

Once she was gone I turned to Blake.

"What's up with you?" I asked, straight to the point. I really wasn't buying the friendly act at all. I'm nowhere stupid or naive.

Blake's friendly smile faltered and then it disappeared.

"What do you mean?" he asked, faking confusion. I sighed.

"Why are you being nice to me? I could have sworn you hated me" I stated, watching his reaction carefully. Blake didn't even flinch, just answered readily.

"Look, Nick. I know we got off on the wrong foot but really there's no point for us to dislike each other. I mean, if we are both friends with Liz, it means we can't be THAT different" he said.

I thought about it for a moment, still not convinced but agreeing on what he was saying.

"What made you change your mind about me?" I questioned.

He let out a breath, "You're not making this easy for me are ya?"

I shrugged, "I don't trust easily".

He nodded. "I can totally relate... To answer your question, I have been giving it a lot of thought and well, you're here for the time being no? Well, we might as well get along. Plus, if Liz likes you, then I can at least give you the benefit of the doubt. I mean, she's the smartest person that I know, she must have seen something good in you to actually give you the time of day" he said this in the most calmed manner, I found myself leaning to maybe, believing him. This could be either honest words, or a rehearsed script. I wish I knew which of the two.

I studied him carefully, not knowing what to do or say. Blake waited patiently while he munched on a toast; his green eyes holding mine as if trying to say that he had nothing to hide.

I bit my lip. Oh the heck with it, let it be what God wants.

"Okay. You make a good point. It's logical that we start getting along better especially if we are going to see each other as frequently as we do. We can at least try to be friends. For Liz's sake" I added the last part because it felt right.

Blake nodded and smiled widely at me, that was before sticking his hand out at me. I sighed and smiled back, before shaking his hand with mine.

I wonder if we'll actually get along...

Either way, this is about to get way more interesting.

_________________________________________________________

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them".

-Ernest Hemingway

_________________________________________________________

A/N: Really boring chapter, I know! But I had to write it to set up the stuff that will happen next in the story! As you may or may not know, I'm on vacation at Puerto Rico which is why there will only be 1 chapter per week instead of 2. Thank you for your understanding. I love you guys, thanks for reading and let me know what you think of the story so far or suggestions of things you would like to see :)