Chapter 4

Liz's POV

From my spot I watched as Nick lifted himself off the ground and marched away, seemingly unhappy.

Guilt rolled in waves through me for leaving him alone without anything to do.

"I'll be right back" I yelled at Blake who was paddling my way to catch the next big wave that he could spot. He nodded and I pushed myself in the other direction, towards shore. 

After I entered my home, I went up the stairs to Nick's room. The door was closed. 

I knocked three times and walked in. Nick was sitting on the bed, but instead of watching the view or anything else, he was staring at his hands. There was something else going on that I didn't know with this guy. Unless he was really upset about what happened to his home? But for some reason I didn't believe that, I feel like there's something more. 

"Why did you leave so abruptly?" I asked softly. He didn't even bother at looking up at me.

"I was bored" he stated emotionless.

"I'm sorry, I totally forgot to find something for you to do" I said apologetically. 

"It's fine" he said, still with no emotion.

I looked around the room, uncomfortable.

There was something bothering him, obviously  but I felt it would bother him even more if I asked him and I didn't want him to get more upset.

"How about this, me and Blake can teach you how to surf. Sound good?" I asked, hopefully.

"I don't care much for surfing. Or Blake. Or you" he said, still avoiding looking at me. Oh, that was the last straw. I was trying to be freaking nice and he was just brushing me off.

"Stop being an asshole" I said with stinging hurt in every word. He must have noticed because he actually looked up at me now.

There was so much pain in those dark eyes, but his face remained blank. 

"I'm sorry if I have offended you" he apologized politely. But I knew better than to believe he was sincere.

"I don't give a crap for your fake apologies alright? You want to be a jerk? Fine, be a jerk. But know this. While you live under this roof, in my house, we play by my rules. I don't care what my dad says about hospitality. You don't deserve any you ungrateful prick. You give me a hard time and I'll give you hell, am I understood?"

His gaze burned mine with a fire I couldn't see. His face was still blank but there was challenge and amusement in his eyes. The fact only made me want to slap him. 

"Am I understood?" I asked again, when he didn't answer.

"Crystal clear" he replied, unfazed. 

Nick's POV

Saying she was mad was an understatement. She literally stormed off and slammed the door to my room on her way out. I thought she had broken the door handle and everything. 

I chuckled without meaning too but then shook my head. What am I doing?

Is this how I'll find pleasure in life again? Pissing of a girl that I just met?

There had to be something else I could do for the rest of my miserable existence. 

I scanned the room until I spotted a guitar case. I had left all of mine at home so I didn't think I'd have the blessing of playing again... but when I opened the case, I beautiful black wooden guitar was kept inside. I sighed. But a good sigh.