Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Liz's POV

Neither of them had noticed my presence, so I observed as Blake finished surfing, only to watch Nick do the same. I could not keep the smile growing on my lips whilst I watched Nick get up on his board and surf the wave he had chosen. From my spot I could still make out the cries of excitement from Blake at Nick's achievement, but just like it happened it ended, and he slipped off from his board. Concern and worry crept up on me like tidal wave but I kept my calm and watched the scene. 

As soon as Nick fell, Blake let go of his surfboard and he threw his body in the water, swimming to Nick's rescue. But it only took a couple of moments before we both saw Nick's head push its way through the water and out into the surface; an animated laugh escaping his mouth. At the sight of Nick's cheery attitude Blake stopped but Nick was also swimming to shore so they met half way. Blake helped Nick carry his board out of the water. Once in dry land they celebrated. The whole sight made my heart swell with happiness. I didn't know why, but I really liked the idea of Nick and Blake getting along, because that meant they could become friends. The stupid animosity between them could wither out. 

"So cool!" I heard a soft voice from beside me. I looked down at the boy next to me and smiled.

"You like surfing?" I asked him. His eyes shot up and he nodded vigorously. 

"I do! I wish I could learn how to do it though" the last part he said it with disappointment taking hold of his voice. My smile didn't fade.

"I can teach you" I said.

Ando's beaming smile made an appearance and something inside of me lit up at the sight. As if he had awaken something new inside of me. I now saw him with different eyes; I could see him being that younger brother that I always wanted. 

Nick's POV

"Did you see that?!" I asked excitedly once Blake was a few feet away.

"Hell yeah. I saw that!" he gushed before giving me a high-five. I laughed at his excitement because it mirrored my own. Someone watching might think we're idiots. I mean, I only surfed the wave for like five seconds. But for those five seconds, I felt free. For those five seconds I didn't have a care in the world. I was one with the ocean and my breathing shared the same rhythm as the wind. It was awesome... and it was magical. 

The thought helped me realize something

"I get it now" I told Blake. His eyes found mine in a question.

"I get why you and Liz love this so much" I elaborated.

Blake's smile wavered. At this point we were back on the beach so he sat down on the golden sparkling sand and I sat beside him.

"What did I say?" I asked, noticing the change in his mood.

He sighed and for a couple of heartbeats he didn't say anything.

"Me and Liz love surfing for very different reasons" he started saying. 

"And those are?" I asked hesitantly. We were finally getting along, and I didn't want to mess that up by pushing him to open up. But at the same time, I knew this was something that bothered him or he wouldn't have gotten upset about it.

"She does it because of her mom. She feels like she makes her proud everytime she's on a board. Like they are connected somehow. Don't get me wrong, she loves surfing as much as I do. But well... I surf because it's the only thing that I got. It's the only thing that I'm good at" he confessed. 

That's when I understood.

"You think you're not good at anything except for surfing don't you?" I questioned. He didn't say anything, but his silence was answer enough. 

There wasn't much I could say to that. I didn't know Blake enough to know what he was good at, but I knew there was more to him than what he lets other people see.

"I'm sure you're wrong" was all I said.

Then we both stayed there, watching the sun set on the horizon. The gigantic star was glowing marvelously, giving the impression that the sky was on fire, while it's flames glimmered like an angel's halo. 

That's when I heard her voice.

"Hey boys! Come inside to eat, I brought pizza!" both Blake and I quickly turned our head around, and there stood precisely who I thought I had heard.

"Coming!" Blake yelled in reply. 

Me on the other hand just stared. The orange glow of the setting sun was surrounding her face and I could have sworn that she sparkled. Maybe I imagined it. Maybe I had been out on the sun for too long. 

Blake picked himself up and I followed, dusting off sand from my body as I did. Then we both took our respective surfboards and walked to Liz's house. 

Once we had put away the board I followed Blake into the kitchen where three boxes of pizza were placed on the counter.

"Three boxes? It's only three of us" I commented.

"Speak for yourself, buddy. I can eat a whole one by myself" Blake said with a smirk. I chuckled.

But then I looked around to find that we were alone; where's Liz?

Suddenly, all I wanted was to find her. So I put down the slice of pizza I had been in the process of grabbing and went up the stairs. As I was about to knock on her door, she came out and bumped into me.

We laughed.

"Sorry" we both apologized at the same time. We both smiled at this.

 "It's my fault, I just ran into you" she said.

"Well, I was gonna knock so.." I trailed off.

"It doesn't even matter right? We can share the blame" she said. I smiled.

"That's a good idea. I like sharing" I slapped myself inwardly. I like sharing? What on earth am I saying? I'm an idiot.

Liz grinned.

"That's good. Sharing is good" she said awkwardly.

This is getting ridiculous, I can only think of one way to clear out the awkwardness in the air.

I kissed her.

I caught her upper lip with both of mine, closing my eyes as I felt her push closer to me. Our mouths brushing gently, in a soft and light kiss.

I stopped then, breaking off the kiss. Liz looked at me with confusion clouding her eyes.

"Sorry. I just, I heard something" I told her.

"Yeah, that was me trying to get you guys to stop. Kissing is gross" I heard him, but it wasn't until I looked to our side that I found a little boy staring up at Liz and me.

"Why were you doing that huh?" he asked scrunching his nose in disgust.

I was at a loss for words.

_____________________________________________

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

-Judy Garland 

_____________________________________________

A/N: I hope you guys liked it! Let me know what you think :)

P.S Doesn't Nick looked quite perfect on the gif on the side? Who am I kidding? He's always perfect ;) <3